I experience the opposite Dotsie.People at checkouts know me..in the library what books I like.even phoning to update books the ladies know me.
I wear bras made by silhouete who went out of manufacturing for a time.I was in the store and Alice(yes we are on first name terms)called over that "5522 paysanne was being made again "my daughter was in hoots of laughter that Alice remembered my size etc...

I have recently had to visit a dear one in hospital further afield..not that far and there was a new expereince..being brand new in a place.
Then the patient was transfered to ten miles away and we were back on home ground..
within five minutes of seeing me there the Chaplain visited the bedside of the patient later the night nurse was a long standing friend..a former GP saw me asked who was there and visited at the end of her shift.. the porter one of my girl guides grown up..I realsise this is my territory..my region is my life time locality.
Networking exists and it is then I experience the gift that "What we sow so shall we reap"
Most times this is wonderful..it taught me respect and how to set privicy bounderies..by that I mean what I keep private within the home and accept this need applies to friends too .
Small countries like Scotland are very different from the US.
I believe Wales is similar..Lola mentioned to me that her daughter has similar experiences there.