Originally Posted By: Edelweiss3
Thanks Mama Red, Humlan and Chatty for your prayers and well wishes.

Orchid, you have hit a nerve with me. Quite frankly, I really am not sure what is the best for our granddaughter. You were so right about the identity thing, That will most surely come up. Obama was raised by his white grandparents, right? But from the reports I've seen, I think he identifies himself more with the Afro Americans. Maybe I'm wrong,…just seems that way.

Dotsie, how was it with your adopted children? How did you help them identify with their roots? Or was it even necessary?

"A" may even resent us for taking her away from her mother. This is what I most fear.

When Obama walks around ever since he was a baby, society saw him as black simply because of his skin tone. As well all know, there are different shades of 'black'. So it's not surprising IF Obama instinctively might feel more 'black' than white. No matter how many times he repeated himself to others to explain his biological roots and upbringing.

And 'A' will have to do this explanation when she is asked or whenever someone might make a remark..for the rest of her life also. Just like my nieces and nephew. (There is a baby Eurasian niece that another sister has. She's only going to be 1 yr. old).

It might be wise EW, never to be overly defensive of 'A' to her mother. Otherwise there might be an unpleasant surprises/perceptions from 'A' who will initiate and be reaching for her mom over time when she becomes a young, independent woman.

Keeping in touch with "roots" or identity, may be expressed also by the friends that a biracial child likes to hang out with. Or changes in the social circle of close friends. It doesn't have to be about practicing certain customs, understanding certain cultural jokes nor visiting ancestral homeland.

Dotsie, Hawaii is probably way more diverse, way more Asian than Maryland. I've been there and have read much about Hawaii's history and its ethnic groups over time. Also over time there are have been alot of mixed marriages and interracial children. It is possible that many Asian-Americans would feel immediately more at home in that lovely tropical state compared to ie. the U.S. Midwest or Northern U.S.

Most likely for your Korean-American son, Dotsie he may subconsciously want to learn of his background...in the next few decades on his own. who knows maybe not until he's in his 50's. These things do happen... And the interest will be expressed through avenues that were not so obvious. It is also possible neither children will tell you directly of much, since if they know they are well-loved, they would be afraid to hurt you, by telling you, their adopted mother.

For your Korean-American children, I hope one day they will find the pieces of their past in enjoyable way. It is possible they would connect better with Koreans born in U.S. who are more westernized and speak the slang, etc. Even if it's only food, and less deeper stuff of cultural history. smile I'm sure that alone would be a pleasure to see as a parent.