Meredith wrote: "kids being left on the streets 24/7 because Mama is ignoring them because there are already 4 more babies since them, and Dad is working 2 jobs." Another element to this is the fact that the 4 babies can have different fathers. This social problem is relevant to the Northeast as well. Although it is not border related, it (the problems back east) are immigrant related. Meredith, nothing has changed. I lived in So Cal Laguna Beach until 1995. There were plenty of media discussions about English speaking kids sitting through the same lesson while it was then taught in Spanish. As far as literacy, I was a tutor in Missouri. for illiterate adults. Kids would graduate from high school with an 8th grade reading level. We could go on and on...don't get me started. But I must say to Di that I believe in America we don't have a middle class anymore. Rich and very rich. Poor and working poor. Just thinking out loud. That's another topic. Anyway, Dianne, yes, we will meet. We will PM about the details, ok? I've been waiting forever for this opportunity, which I thought would never happend, because you went to Minnesota. Now you are back in AZ! Our friend Yonuh lives in AZ.

Edited by Princess Lenora (01/08/08 04:19 AM)