I was born in NYC and have always lived and worked in big cities. My children were raised in big cities as well.

Nearly nine years ago, my daughter got married and the couple decided to settle down and raise their family in the small town where my SIL was born and raised. Where they live used to be a former fishing village. Their subdivision is surrounded by farms and minutes away from a beach and a castle (in whatever state it is). I get to spend four days a week with them, which is a respite from the bustle of London (although where I live in the city is seven miles from the hub).

I appreciate the country, it's sights and sounds, village life and where all that benefit with raising my grandchildren. Community life still exists in my daughter's village. Although it struggles against economic threats of commercial giants and progress, small industries are still patronised. Dairy products are still delivered to the front door, meat from the butchers, bread from the bakers, fruit and veg from the greengrocer, and most wonderful of all, tea houses still exist. The closest MacDonalds is 12 miles away (thank goodness for that!). I find joy in the most simplest of things in the country like sitting by the Rath overlooking the haven and the marina with the grandchildren and watching the ferries from Ireland come and go. The event that we look forward to each year is the Eistedfodd...and the rugby matches, of course.

I love the city because it's lifestyle is familiar to me but, living in the country, albeit a few days a week, is something I have also grown to love. A small village in a country of folks proud of their identity. CYMRU AM BYTH. I have the best of both worlds.