I don't think I used a tampon until I was 20. Then, I didn't start my period until I was 14. They stopped KABOOM completely at 48 when I was in chemo. Can't say I miss them, nope, not at all.

I never needed to keep a calendar because the minute my period started, I'd be doubled over with cramps. I kept a collection of crappy underwear because sometimes I'd bleed over the pad and had to throw my panties out. Even when I wore a tampon, I occasionally had that problem.

Several years after I knew I was completely in menopause, I had two defining moments:
1. I threw ALL the junky underwear out and bought new ones
2. When the Laguna fires hit and many people lost their homes, I donated my last 5 boxes of sanitary pads to the shelters. (I always stocked up during sales.) I figured -- if there's anything worse than having your house burn down -- it's having your house burn down and then getting your period. The relief organizations were asking for donations of toothpaste, blankets and the like but never mentioned sanitary items. As a woman, though, I KNEW.

Poet and essayist