I was always a very shy child and had no self-esteem whatsoever. I know it was my upbringing; overly strict, "children may be seen and not heard" and so on. Still I want to add I never felt unloved…but maybe unworthy?

My low self-esteem manifested itself in many ways. I never raised my hand in class…although I knew the answer. When my stories were read, I signalled to the teacher not to mention that I was the author. Large groups of people intimidated me. I always stood on the side wondering how I could be one of those laughing girls clinging on to each others shoulders.

My self-esteem found itself for the first time when I was accepted to Pan Am. I was always surprised when someone admired my career. I never had known admiration before.

Later in life it increased when I wrote and produced two children's plays. I did it all on my own, although I had many offers to help. I wanted, for once, to get all the credit. And indeed I did, with newspaper articles and such.

But the biggest leap to a "normal" self-esteem happened when I started my own business. Before that I worked for a large real-estate company, and was the top sales person for two years. That motivated me into opening my own business and hiring up to 7 agents to work for me. It was a success. Through this I learned that I can stand up for myself. Say no…and not care what others may say. I have learned that my self-respect is something I need and can rely on, and that no one can ever take it away from me.

My build up was for a while a problem in my marriage. I was no longer the meek little yes- yes woman. I put my foot down when it was necessary, and I do the same in my business. And most importantly I do it without and regrets or second thoughts.

Self-esteem is liberating and healthy.

Jane you have your own radio program! You can cry from the rooftops that you are proud! And you have every right to be. Hope this information will help you with your new Bertha series.