Quote:

4) BE HONEST. I've known people who tell others they are the best, and that they have degrees, when they don't. They have also said they write for publications that they DO NOT write for. They say they have experience in areas that they DO NOT have experience in. And they actually think that people who use their services don't talk or tell others how lousy their service was/is. People talk. Period.

Some of these same people have applied for jobs and lied on the application. One in particular got the job because, I'm sure, of the glowing application she submitted. They were fired a month later. Do you want that stress for one paycheck? Worse, do you want to be branded as dishonest?

Although this Internet is a vast, unending meca of information, jobs, and people...you wouldn't believe how small it CAN be. Word gets around and people talk. Don't be the subject; capish?

So, in summary, how many hours a week can you honestly commit without interruptions? Plan for this number of hours and commit to them. Don't be wishy-washy. Know your strengths and capitalize on those skills when hunting a job. Know your weaknesses and either brush up on them, or stay away from jobs requiring those skills, and be honest. Would you want your Mamma to know you said that? If so, go for it. If not, shame on you.

Nuff said.

Good advice jawjaw. Yes, the Internet shrinks the world in terms of grapevine networking. People can find out in many different ways what your work record is. Anyone can find out who my past employers were because I've been belonged and been active in professional associations (related to my profession) that have websites. And if you have made a positive contribution, you would like that searchable evidence for prospective employers. It confirms your resume's details.

If a person's job involved computer technology and providing content, there is a permanent footprint/evidence of your work and expertise still there, even a few years after you have left job(s).

When I interview, I do ask questions to verify certain skills. It is possible to ask a few strategic questions just to see how the person responds. The more expertise a person claims, the more detailed questions the interviewer has a right to ask.