This is a wonderful forum, and I enjoyed all the enlightening posts.

Almost every evening, after watching the news, I feel a rush of gratitude. How lucky we are that we live where we live. Not in a Moslem country, where women are suppressed, food and water is scare, fear of bombings and snipers are a part of the daily life. I feel there are two different worlds on this planet. That other frightening world is so far away; so hard to imagine. I'm forever grateful that I wasn't born into that world.

At the same time, I agree with Gimster, I quote,

"Do you think the less we expect, the more grateful we will feel if/when something good happens?"

Too much gratitude isn't healthy either. There is a danger of just laying your hands limply in your lap and thinking, I'm grateful that I'm healthy and not starving. Gratitude should not overwhelm ambition and a fighting nature. Gratitude should not lower your expectations.

Gimster mabe you felt depressed because the fight is temporarily gone out of you. If you aren't happy with your situation or life, then my philosophy is; take control. Change what you are able to change. Find your ambitious fighting nature again, and transform it in a constructive plan. Feeling anger is an energy that you can transform to a fighting nature. Use that energy. That's great! You can do it! I know you can.