I have found that taking 400 mcg of Chromium Picolinate, which is an herb you buy over the counter at Walmart, helps to lower my blood sugar about 10 points every day. I currently take Glucatrol XL and Glucaphage twice a day for my type 2 diabetes. I am not the best diabetic, I do indulge in a bit of chocolate here and there, but have learned how to fit it into my diet plan, not on a daily basis, but as a special treat once a week or so. The key is the carbs. If you set a limit on the amount of carbs you eat, then you can literally stuff yourself full of other great foods. I also know that by eating a large lettuce salad before the main course, often I am not tempted to want a dessert. I keep sugar-free jello on hand to pack for my work lunches. You can also get sugar-free pudding in the little snack cups, but they are harder to find.
One of the ways I resist eating a candy bar when I am tempted is to superimpose the image of an insulin syringe and needle in my mind on the candy bar wrapper. I am not fond of being poked by needles.
Chewing bubble gun often gives me relief from sugar cravings. Yes, it does have some sugar, but only 3 grams. I can have 3 or 4 pieces of bubble gum and still be under my 15 gram carb limit for snacks.
There are lots of little tricks you can learn. I would recommend anyone newly diagnosed to join the ADA (American Diabetes Association). With it you will get a monthly magazine that is full of luscious recipes, handy hints, informative articles on new technologies and treatments, and a reader forum that you can contact the experts with any questions you might have.
Before changing any medical regimen your doctor has prescribed for you, please contact him and ask for permission to try anything new.