Diabetes

Posted by: Dotsie

Diabetes - 12/11/07 08:44 PM

Ladies, this is a post that humlan began in another area. I'm cutting and pasting here so we can begin a new topic about diabetes.

Dotsie..you seem to know alot about diabetes... I have a very close friend who has diabetes 1. She was diagnosed over the last year. She s having a very very had time now..trying to keep up some sort of optimism and motivation in life. She doesn´t feel sorry for herself..but I think that she is finding the knowledge and reality of her disease overwhelming..tough. Is this a reaction that many patients have? It would seem to me to be the case when I really put myself in her situation. Diabetes seems to reach into so many areas of one´s life..for instance, she works with kids too..the winter stomach flu is raging around..she was told that she must be very careful with her insulin dosage, should she get this flu..because if she´s unlucky..it could lead to unconsiousness due to a very low sugar level. It´s just one fact among many that is new to her and worries her. Do you know what I mean? It´s a whole new set of rules and realities for her and I think she is having trouble taking it all in and still keeping her gusto for life..at the moment. And she is finding her lack of gusto difficult too. I just thought that if I could ressure her that her reactions are quite normal , she might feel better.

I must add that my dear dear friend is the one that taught me that feeling angst or panic is NORMAL. It is a normal reaction to things happening in one´s life..and nothing to fear. I would like help her not fear where she is now, if I can..and perhaps also help her not to push away some people that are in her life now..

You really have understood the gratitude thing, Dotsie. You use it so often in your life and it makes much more sense to me now after having read your thoughts..and those of others here in this thread. I am working on gratitude because I truely believe in it..but you, Dotsie, and many of you other wonderful women here..have really taken it to another dimension for me. I thought that I was pretty grateful most of the time..but I realize that I have a much longer path to wander..which is ok..because the path of thankfulness seems to be a very sunny and happy path.

-----------------------------------------------------------
My response:

First, the path to gratefulness is well worth it. I began many years ago by journaling what I was thankful for. It was during the summer when all three kids were little, I was a stay at home mom, I loved my life, but was feeling overwhelmed by all it took to keep everyone happy and in the game. I've come a long way and have a way to go, but am grateful that I'm able to plant seeds for others to continue on the path. It's fun.

Okay, diabetes. Hubby has been a Type I Diabetic for over 30 years. He was diagnosed while we were dating. When diagnosed, he took a shot a day and went about his business and it really seemed in control. Through the years, it's changed dramatically, to the point that he was doing 4-5 shots a day, watching what he ate, exercising and taking great care of himself. Several months ago, he went on the pump and is still getting use to it. That's Ross.

Then my daughter who happens to be adopted, was diagnosed with Type II about six years ago. She was controlling it with diet and exercise. To be continued.

Re: Diabetes - 12/11/07 09:10 PM

Okay, she has since been put on oral medication because she is not taking time to exercise at this point in her life. I really believe that watching your food intake and exercising daily would keep lots of Type IIs off medication.

Okay, so your friend is on insulin. Is she testing her blood regularly and keeping her blood sugar within normal range? I ask because low blood sugars cause you to think less clearly and high blood sugars cause you to feel exhausted and overwhelmed. It could be that her blood sugar levels are out of whack, and that alone can make you feel poorly. Tight control is important. While it's a pain in the neck, it absolutely helps you feel better, more normal, like people without diabetes.

It's interesting what they told her about the flu. When my husband is sick, his blood sugar tends to run high which will not cause you to pass out. What she needs to be very careful about is not to give herself too much insulin. Is she on a sliding scale or does she do the same dosage every day? It's very simple though. If she feels like her blood sugar is getting low, all she needs to do is eat or drink something sweet, or she can buy the gel that she can use during those times, or the glucose/sugar tablets work well too.

What she is feeling is quite normal. It is a huge life change, but one that can be made. Trust me, Ross lives a very normal lifestyle. Many don't know he's a diabetic, but it takes a lot of work on his part.

If she is lacking gusto, it could be because her blood sugar is running high. Make sure she is testing her blood occasionally. She will feel best if she can keep it within normal range.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Diabetes - 12/12/07 12:12 AM

When I wake up everyday, I test my blood glocose and again at night before bedtime. I take one oral pill a day and thats only if I am not exercising. When going to the pool or walking a lot the pill is not necessary. I have learned to buy "only sugar free" items and don't want the hassle of high blood sugar so I rarely cheat. I was devastated when told I was diabetic,(my grandmother had her leg amputated.)I decided to go to the hospital class offered to learn more. After hearing the crap they dished out, I figured I may as well be dead. BUT then I got mad and decided to learn all I could on my own, and I did and I am just fine. I was diagnosed in 1990. I am doing great because I will not fall victim to the POOR ME syndrome.

The type I diabetics have reason to feel that way because they had no choice in getting their disease and type I is so hard to manage and so much work to keep under control. Type II is no fun either, but much, much easier to control with diet and exercise...Plus the sugar free foods and drinks out there now, I serve to everyone and no one ever knows the difference, some say they even taste better when inquiring 'whats this?"

Re: Diabetes - 12/12/07 10:49 AM

chatty, you are so right about diet foods. Boy have we come a long way in the past ten years.

I'm sure you know this, but others may not. You still have to look at the number of carbs in the diet foods. You might be surprised.

Re: Diabetes - 12/14/07 02:44 AM

Carbs, sugar and the ever sneaky sugar alcohol needs to be counted. Even sugar free candy can have sugar alcohol which all counts against you. I think the easiest way for me is to eat NOTHING white! Potatoes, bread, sugar, milk (just not too much) rice. These seem to be the real culprits. Meat has no carbs and no sugar. I eat a nice size piece of baked, broiled or grilled meat, chicken or fish with a leafy green salad with tomatoes etc. I love vinegar and oil, both lower carbs. Peas and corn are higher carbs then green beans, squash, other beans. Eggs also aere low carbs, I make a big omelet everyday with egg substitute, tomatoes, mushroom, cheese, spinach or broccoli pieces. Wheat toast and tea. I've never been a coffee drinker although it is okay for diabetics. But I love diet A&W root beer and creme soda. I have an entire library on diabetes alone...
Posted by: humlan

Re: Diabetes - 12/15/07 11:18 PM

OK, thanks..I found the thread. My friend checks her sugar level a few times each day at this point. She takes about 3-4 injections depending on her sugar level. She has diabetes 1.

I met with her last evening and she looks pretty good. But she is finding the whole experience overwhelming and, I think, depressing. She is feeling "old" and "sickish" I guess. Did you all feel like this when you were first diagnosed?

Thanks for your input.

Re: Diabetes - 12/15/07 11:29 PM

Type I is far WORSE and HARDER to adjust to, and live with than Type II. Mine is Type II, its irritating especially if you love baked goods and sweets as I do, but I have found some really tasty and satisfying sugar free products.

Re: Diabetes - 12/15/07 11:32 PM

My friend´s problem is the fact that she doesn´t like to see herself as sick and weak..if you get my meaning. She gets stressed by all the sugar level checking, but can´t leave it alone either. She is 50yrs old and adjusting to illness and all that goes with it. Watching how she lives, etc. It´s not always easy to accept this kind of thing..eventho she is fully aware that things could be so much worse. But that doesn´t really help right now..

Re: Diabetes - 12/16/07 10:48 AM

humlan, I don't blame her for the way she's feeling. The disease can be overwhelming because one always has to think about what their level is before sticking something in their mouth. Think about it. How irritating is that?

Has she tried a support group?

I can't beleive she is doing that many shots. Was she just diagnosed?

Also, she is wise to check her sugar often. While it's a pain, it will help her feel better because her numbers will be within the normal range.

Re: Diabetes - 12/29/07 08:10 PM

Dotsie, when you have the time..tell me why you think she is taking alot of shots..

And thank you for the info about it being ok to check yourself so often. Her sugar levels seem to go up and down alot..and she nears the lower levels often.

Christmas came in the way , so I haven´t had time to answer..as I suppose is true of alot of us.

I watched THE INDIAN with Anthony Hopkins again the other day..I LOVE that film and Hopkins does SUCH a good role interpretation or whatever you want to call it. The Indian is a motorcycle, by the way. But anyway...Hopkins says at one point: I am grateful everyday that I find myself above ground and verticle. Isn´t that a wonderful thought??

Re: Diabetes - 12/30/07 05:58 AM

There is a gadget availabe that you wear on the wrist that is constantly monitering your sugar levels and when getting too high or two low it emits a signal to warn the wearer. I don't need this but it is a wonderful and helpful object. Takes the worry out of having to check an stick yourself all the time...I can't remember where I got the brochure from and have passed it on to someone...

Re: Diabetes - 12/30/07 04:21 PM

chatty, please let me know if you find out aboaut that again. Form what I've learned, you have to travel to Boston and have a chip put under your wrist so it can read it automatically. Then, of course you have to contiue to go to Boston onceit's implanted to be checked.

humlan, sometimes the reason people take so many shots is because they might not know how to count carbs, and then figure out how much insulin to give to cover those carbs. It is tricky. So you can get in a jam with eating too many carbs and needing to give yourself more insulin to cover the carbs. It's all about counting carbs and knowing how much insulin you need to cover those carbs. Add to that any exercise which burns the carbs, and it gets very confusing.

My husband went on the pump a few months ago and still isn't sold on the dang thing. Because he works out several times a week, and plays tennis twice a week, it has been very hard for him to get this all squared away. Time will tell. Most people LOVE it, but the jury is still out on the pump at this house.

Re: Diabetes - 12/30/07 09:30 PM

I know for a fact exercise is a key element to controling diabetes. In the summer when I do my pool walking, across the pool over and over again, my sugar goes to normal and I can eat more carbs without taking any pill. When not doing the pool walking (exercise) it stays higher and I have to take the pill.

Re: Diabetes - 12/30/07 10:57 PM

This thing on the wrist sounds very interesting..and definitely something that my friend would want. Is it a chip or just some kind of bracelet. I will mention it to her when I write to her on MSN. Thank you!

Re: Diabetes - 12/31/07 09:32 PM

humlan, I believe it's both. The chip is implanted under the arm, and you wear the bracelet atop it. Is that right chatty?

Re: Diabetes - 01/01/08 11:03 AM

I hadn't heard about the chip before, but it makes sense otherwise how would the darn thing work?

Re: Diabetes - 01/08/08 02:16 AM

I know. It's more complicated than we'd like.

humlan, how is your friend?
Posted by: orchid

So I may have Diabetes??? - 01/08/08 06:57 AM

Yea, me. Maybe. Just found out tonight. Doctor is ordering 2nd blood test on me to see if results are repeatable.

If still elevated, I will be referred to a diabetic clinic where a dietician and endocrinologist will see me and rework my diet and exercise for 3 months. If still high, then medication...

Here are my statistics: will be 49 in less than 3 wks. 5'1" 100 lbs. I have ranged between 94-100 lbs. in past 15 years. I have cycled for over 14 years.

But I have increased my sweets/sugar over past decade. I've skipped lunches at work for past 4-5 years. Just don't feel like eating.

Ok, ok...I can hear chatty at me...
Great..

I had 1 aunt who did have diabetes..not sure when she got it. But she did die from complications in her 60's.

Re: So I may have Diabetes??? - 01/08/08 09:21 AM

Orchid if you do have type II, there is no reason you can't live a regular life like everyone else. You just need to watch your carbs, eat the right ones. I can send you a ton of info plus its all over the web. You'll need to watch the sugar like a hawk. However there is an indefinite supply of sugar free stuff out there now, and its really good stuff too. I serve it to my friends half the time and no one can telol the difference...

Also, I would never be at you except to help in everyway I can. Well, maybe a little nagging...LOL!
Posted by: glessmom

Re: Diabetes - 01/08/08 02:17 PM

Diabetes can be such a tricky disease - and one thing to remember is that everyone is DIFFERENT! My husband was diagnosed with Diabetes 10 years ago. At first - they said he was a type 2 - put him on pills. That didn't really work. He has been on insulin shots for many years now - and they believe his pancreas has stopped producing insulin.

Unlike a lot of type 2 diabetics - he did not get his from being obese or not taking care of himself as far as exercise etc. He contracted it somehow during his 26 yr stint with the Air Force - due to something he was exposed to. The VA is compensating him fully now for anything diabetes related and taking care of all his meds etc - thank goodness - because that is also a big worry and expense as we near retirement.

As far as everyone being different - the guidelines that are set as far as 'normal' range blood sugars do not always work for all people. The doctors would love to see Gary's blood sugars remain between 70 and 110 on a regular basis. Unfortunately, when he hits 120 and is dropping - he gets the sweats and the shakes and can drop like a rock. The 'normal' sugar range is just not his 'normal' operating range.

Gary regulates his sugars by testing OFTEN - depending on the day - he can test up to 6 times at least. And, yes, depending on the day - he can use 4 injections. Mornings- he takes his long acting insulin - because even though most people take it at night - it was causing him to bottom out in the middle of the night - which is a scary thing when you are sleeping! The other shots he takes are fast acting insulin that are regulated depending upon what he is eating and his exercise level for the day.

Anyway - all I wanted to share was that you should not compare yourself to others. Get to know YOUR body and how it reacts to all factors and make your decisions from there. READ READ READ - keep yourself educated on what is going on with new meds and diabetes etc. Doctors cannot do it all. You are in charge of your own disease.

Also - make sure that some good supplements are a part of your daily routine. It sure has made a huge difference in Gary's life for the past 6 years.
Posted by: orchid

Re: So I may have Diabetes??? - 01/09/08 03:46 AM

Thanx for your thoughts chatty.

I guess this means I can't have all that wonderful wine that we just bought from wine country 2 weeks ago.. Or balsamic vinegar.

I probably ending up reversing my diet a bit to more green Asian veggies, etc. Back to where I was as a child...which was sugar-free alot of the time. It is always a good thing to raise a child from basic best.....like nearly 50 years later...lessons learned.

Re: Diabetes - 01/10/08 04:21 PM

Dotsie, thanks for asking.Tuned in here for a short while..am otherwise pretty busy since getting back to work. Anyway..my friend is not too well. I am worried about her. We met last Saturday and she didn´t look well..kind of dried out and raisin like (at our age..but she is 10 yrs younger..50 yrs old). Then on Monday, she had a very low sugar count..the kind that can result in a coma. We have another system of measurement here in Sweden..so the actual number probably won´t tell you anything..2.8. So she did what she had to do to start getting her sugar level up..and then, as she told me, she took some fast acting sugar (grape sugar, if I translate from Swedish).. AND GOT IN HER CAR AND DROVE HOME!!! She is going for some check-ups this week..so I hope that she will get some help. I really do think that something is not quite right at the moment.

HUGS!!!
Posted by: saralaya

Re: Diabetes - 02/24/08 04:35 PM

Well early in January I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes and, unlike Chatty Lady, I have had a great deal of trouble keeping my blood sugar stable (low and stable); despite a drastic change in diet. I also had to change doctors since the first one gave me way too much information at once and had no time to answer questions. I really like the doctor I have now and she recently added Byetta to my meds. Hopefully that will help. I am not finding this easy to adjust to, although I know that Type I is much worse to have. I am still hoping that I will be able to get my blood sugar stable soon.

Re: Diabetes - 02/24/08 08:32 PM

Hi saralaya.. I just wanted to tell you that it´s pretty common in the beginning to have trouble stabilizing the sugar count, etc. I am absolutely NO EXPERT and don´t have diabetes myself..but my very close friend has it..a sort of type 1. My friend has also found, after battling with sugar levels that were all over the place for over a year or 2 now..that she has to kinda calm down herself,too..and perhaps not check things all that often..NOW this comes with time and of course, the blessings of your medical doctor..but in the beginning..as you seem to be, it takes time to find the middle road for meds. that is best for you and your body..it almost seems like an art..it takes time and patience (and I wouldn´t have too much of either, if it was me)..

I hope that some of the ladies who do have diabetes perhaps answer you here..otherwise, do send them a message or post..they are here in this thread and that´s easy to do..

Good luck..I really feel for you..my dear and close friend is kinda doing ok today..but it´s taken her some time. Diabetes affects alot in your life..so it´s totally normal that you are feeling confused, worried and perhaps alittle down sometime.

Thinking of you

Re: Diabetes - 02/25/08 01:40 AM

Humlan- thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. It is hard to really accept and fully deal with, although Im trying- but maybe Im trying too hard...LOL. And just recently I have been feeling down about it....I have an appt with the doctor coming up and another appointment with the fabulous nutritionist I found. Hopefully that will help some! Thanks again.

Re: Diabetes - 02/25/08 02:51 AM

Saralaya, sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. It can be a bummer, but once you get it under control, I believe you will be alright. Just having numbers within normal range is enough to make you feel better.

Wow, lots has changed since we were talking about this. Hubby is no longer on the pump. He is within the 2% of people who didn't like it. He's back to injections and is doing much better.

My daughter is under excellent care. Sara, you are wise to change doctors. They can make all the difference in the world. My daughter's doctor has had her on four different medicine regimens within nine months. None have been great. Her most recent includes Byetta injections with Metformin twice a day. This began this week. So far, so good. I am so psyched for her to feel good. She has also begun exercising which is vital. Sara, are you getting exercise? I can tell you that exercise alone can lower your numbers. It's amazing.

How is the Byetta working for you?

Re: Diabetes - 02/25/08 04:08 PM

Hi Dotsie- I'm sorry your husband had a bad experience with the pump and am happy that your daughter seems to be doing better. Changing doctors made a BIG difference to me! I started the Byetta a couple of weeks ago and so far, it is helping. My numbers have been lower than they had been and the doctor is hoping to take me off of the second pill I'm on. Right now I'm taking Metformin and Glipizide and the Byetta- she would like me to be able to stop the Glipizide. The other good thing about the Byetta is that I am no longer feeling like I'm starving all day and all night. That was really unpleasant! I am trying to exercise more, but with the cold weather here that has been difficult. I also don't have the energy after work to do much. My husband is disabled and cannot help me with any household chores, shopping etc.. I do have someone who comes in to do the heavy cleaning once a week- but I have to do all the shopping, cooking etc. I am hoping that with the Spring- and warmer weather and daylight lasting longer- I wil be able to at least go for a walk after dinner. Right now I'm too tired. We can't afford a gym member ship right now either. I am also looking at retiring from my job and taking another ( LESS stressful) job to make up the difference between my pension and my present salary. That will give me more time too. Anyway- thanks for all the encouragement and good thoughts- it really helps. I'll check back later.

Re: Diabetes - 02/26/08 12:14 AM

This is so interesting because you and my daughter seem to be going through similar treatment. She does the Byetta and Metformin and it's working. She told me today that she felt great. She's never said that. She is exercising a bit and had more energy. The fact that her numbers are within normal range is giving her more energy.

Her doctor told her the Byetta would help her feel more full all the time. It must be doing the same for you. Medicines amaze me.

You are getting exercise with all your chores, but I bet it would do you a world of good to get a little walk in every now and then. Come on spring.

As far as being tired, hopefully this medicine will get your numbers within normal range and you WILL have more energy. Keep up the good work.

Does the Metformin upset your stomach?

Re: Diabetes - 02/26/08 12:58 AM

Dotsie-The Metformin upset my stomach for about a week- then that went away. I had been warned that it might do that, so I hung in and hoped the side effect would pass. I am really pleased with the Byetta - it's a real relief to feel better AND have my numbers go down. I'm still on the lowest dose- as an introduction - if I reacted well (which I have) at my next visit the doctor said she will raise the dosage and have me take it earlier- right now she has me taking it 15 min before I eat- to avoid the nausea which is apparently a common initial side effect. Then after the dosage is raised, she told me she would have me take it about 45 minutes before meals. So, I'm hoping that the increased dosage will work better and I can come off the Glipizide. I am SO READY for Spring- for a lot of reasons, but I know I always feel better in the Spring - so I'm hoping to be able to do more walking at lunch and on weekends. Tell your daughter I said "Hi" and I hope we both continue to do well!

Re: Diabetes - 02/26/08 09:08 PM

Saralaya, my blood sugar stays normal to good only when I exercise, walking, biking and best of all walking across the pool over and over in the summer time. If my glucose goes too high, I fast until it levels off, drinking green tea and clear soups. That takes only a day usually. Also buy a book or chart that gives you the "glycemic index" of each food. Like meats, have 0 carbs. Certain veges have below 50 carbs, eggs are 0 carbs too, many have under 50 and are good carbs. I take one Glyburide tiny pill per day and then I supplement with 1 chromium picolate capsule, 2 gynemna sylvestre tablets. These two natural supplements work wonders for lowering my glucose. NEVER just depend on your doctor, its your life, investigate the disease and then act on what you find. I did that and am glad I did. If I can help you in any way just email or PM me and I'll try my best...

You don't have to wait until spring to walk. I get up during each TV commercial and march in place, just stand in place and march, swinging your arms. This sounds silly but it works as exercise and helps keep the glucose levels normal and you are still exercising...

Oh and before I forget, READ LABELS in the stores, you'd be shocked at what they put sugar into and how much.

Re: Diabetes - 02/27/08 12:12 AM

Thanks Chatty- I've been reading labels like crazy now- even more than I used to- and boy-oh-boy there is sugar (in many forms) in more places than I ever imagined! I am doing research on diabetes (online, books, etc.) but I'm not ready to stop or change the treatment that my doctor is prescribing now. I not only have to watch carbs but calories too, since I have to lose weight (and I have been!). I have been looking at the glycemic index of different foods, too. There's a lot to learn! Thanks for the tip about TV commercials..LOL.. if I have the energy to do that, I will! It's funny- but one of my favorite things to do in the pool in the summer is "pool walking" (our apt complex has a pool) so I'm already planning to ramp that up this summer. It was an exercise I got from a Physical Therapist when I was rehabbing a broken ankle a few years ago. I also "bike ride" in the deeper water using "pool noodles" as a seat and "handlebars. That's really a good work out. Thanks again for the advice and for caring. I may send you a private message... once I figure out how to DO that! LOLOL I still have to learn my way around here!

Re: Diabetes - 03/02/08 07:13 PM

Saralaya..just checking in to say hi and tell you that I am glad you are getting help and support here. I really liked the commercial idea..I mean those commercials go on for more than 5 minutes..so that´s quite alot of excercise in the end. Think I might start marching with you..over here..or doing some extra yoga! What a wonderful idea!!!

It is a tough time when you have just found out about your problem and it takes TIME to get adjusted or sort of used to the fact that this is me..I walk alongside my dear dear friend who has some kind of new classification of diabetes..somewhere between 1 and 2. She has had a very difficult time coping and accepting..of course..because this problem does change your life quite a bit on all levels. So..just let yourself be worried and sad and angry and feeling hopeless and then feeling hopeful..be kind to yourself..what you are going thru IS tough..so let it be tough and don´t question yourself. I am sure you´ll get thru it all too..just look at Chattylady! You´ll find what works for you..my friend has too..but it took her time. Not meaning that you necessarily have to wait a longer time..but our bodies are very unique helpers and a part of us individuals..so it´s natural that it takes time to find the right meds and balance and excercise time just for YOU..don´t you think???

Lots of luck!!!
Posted by: Di

Re: Diabetes - 03/03/08 03:14 PM

This past weekend we met a fellow vendor who had badly dry feet due to her diabetes. She used our Shea Butter and came RUNNING to me the next morning saying "This stuff is a miracle!".

So wherever you get your shea butter supplies, it seems to work VERY well for the feet!

Re: Diabetes - 03/03/08 10:27 PM

sara, my daughter's new medicine continues to work - lower numbers, more energy. How are you doing?

Re: Diabetes - 03/04/08 12:18 PM

Hi Dotsie- My numbers are better but my energy level stays about the same....I have a doctor's appt this morning. I believe that, since I had no bad reaction tot he introductory dose of Byetta, she will raise it to the "therapeutic" level. I'm hoping that will help level out the numbers and hopefully I'll have more energy. Also warmer weather will help in that regard- at least it usually does! I'm glad your daughter continues to do so well! Tomorrow I have the first follow-up appt with the Nutritionist, so I hope to refine my meal plans some. I'll post after both appts. Thank you so much for asking after me!

Re: Diabetes - 03/07/08 01:24 AM

Dotsie!! I had a FABULOUS visit with my doctor and the next day with the nutritionist. I have lost 13 pounds ( and that was on the lower dose of Byetta!) and my blood sugar numbers are apparently great ( I wasn't entirely sure). The doctor discontinued my evening dose of Glipizide and raised the Byetta to the "therapeutic" level (10 mcg). When my post-breakfast blood sugar levels get into the 70's I will discontinue the Glipizide altogether. If I keep going like this- eventually I should be able to stop ALL the meds and conrtol this with diet and exercise! OK.... I'm HAPPY!! I hope your daughter is doing well also!

Re: Diabetes - 03/07/08 10:34 PM

Saralaya do you have a test monitor at home to test your own blood glucose daily? I test mine morning and evening too. Also get a book from the library on the PRITIKIN FOOD PLAN...Check it out and if you follow it closely you can get off all your meds in a month or so. I did it and it is once again being PRAISED in the April 2008 issue of Prevention Magazine in an issue all about Diabetes. You can and should get a copy at the store of that issue of Prevention, anyone with this disorder needs to. Your daughter too Dotsie...

Re: Diabetes - 03/08/08 02:09 AM

chatty, thanks for the tip about Prevention magazine.

sara, you sound like you are doing so well. Congrats on the weight loss. That alone must make you feel encouraged.
My daughter has been home on break all week and her numbers have been within normal range except for once. Honestly, she has more energy than I recall in the past few years. I don't know about weight loss. I try not to ask about that. I'm sure she'll get weighed when she goes for her appt.

I was alittle freaked about these injections, but they have been a breeze for her, plus the medicine is really working.

Sara, you go girl! Looking forward to hearing more good news as the weather gets warmer.

Re: Diabetes - 03/08/08 11:54 PM

Hi Chatty- Of course I'm testing... one of the first things the doctor gave me was a blood glucose monitor. I test about 4 times a day- more often when necessary. I'm really happy with the diet and meds the doctor has me on and with my numbers, which have been really good. Thanks for the info though!

Re: Diabetes - 03/08/08 11:59 PM

Dotsie- I NEED to lose weight, so that's a good thing here! I wondered how I was going to feel about the injectable medication- but, honestly, it really IS a breeze for me too and it really, really does work. I'm happy with the way things are going. I'm not THRILLED with the diet- I'd love to have potatoes, rice and BREAD again ( the way I used to...! LOL) but I'm as happy with the diet as I can be right now. And, it's working, so I'm satisfied. The nutritionist reminded me that if my numbers are looking this good and I haven't had a chance to so much exercise yet- that when I start to- everything will get better.

Re: Diabetes - 03/09/08 12:14 AM

Hi! Saralaya..just checking in..and saying how happy I am for you that things are looking up!!!

Let the good times roll!!!

Re: Diabetes - 03/09/08 06:23 PM

Thanks so much humlan!! The support is really helpful!