Diagnosis: Mono

Posted by: dancer9

Diagnosis: Mono - 06/09/08 11:55 PM

Hi All.
I'm afraid my son brought Mono home when he visited from University last and I have caught it! The antibiotic made me very ill and I saw my doctor to get diagnosed.

Oh well, I shall rest on the computer.

Thank you all who wished me well. It matters to me, it really does. You feel like friends, as you are.

As for me, weeks of blah ahead.

Chatty, thank you for all your inquiries as to my welfare, you are very kind. This caused me to come back and join my friends here.

Dancer
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 12:01 AM

Dancer, I had mono when I was 17. All my parents could say was, "It's called the kissing disease?!?!?" Feel better soon.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 01:35 AM

Dancer, hubby had mono in college. It WAS the kissing disease!

You might as well get comfy and give in to the next couple weeks of rest. There's no sense in fighting it. Before long, you'll be up and dancing and then you'l wish you had a couple days to rest.

Hang out with us while you recover. Sending well wishes your way.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 02:10 AM

I had mono in 1979...I learned the hard way that it's critical to get enough rest and to not push yourself back into the fray before you're fully recuperated. I was in university, it was exam time, and I just didn't understand the seriousness of the mono, and ended up in hospital with meningitis (a rare complication of mono) and a lifetime of chronic fatigue...all because I didn't allow myself to rest and recuperate enough at the time.

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you...sleep whenever you need to - and rest the rest of the time! Like Dotsie says, there's no sense in fighting it...
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 02:44 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, Dancer; hope you feel better soon! My friend's daughter had it, and it took a couple of months for her energy to return, but then she was good as new! Use this time to catch up on reading and be catered to, if you can. (easy to say, hard to do - I know I would be frustrated if I didn't feel well enough to do everything I wanted to do.)

Take care,
Kathy
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 07:16 AM

Oh how frustrating! I know someone who had it three times. He was so angry and ready to go up walls! It must be very hard to accept this disease, especially if you are an active person.
Lots of sleep is good for the skin, Dancer. So...after this is over you'll look like sleeping beauty!
Posted by: diamond50

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 09:05 AM

Fifteen years ago, my husband had the same and he was forced to rest for a
few months. Dancer, I hope you hang with us while you get better!

Cindy
Posted by: gims

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 10:44 AM

One of our grandsons had it last year. Scared us to death, not knowing what it was.
Get better soon, dancer.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 02:16 PM

Poor Dancer. Hope you are up and twirling around again soon. We miss you.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 08:49 PM

There you go Dancer, so much love coming your way, told you how important you are around here. Never had this ailment but know girls who did and it takes months to become right again and yes, REST is the key... We will still be praying for you as you recover...
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 08:53 PM

Ann, immune? Not this guy. He was a hunk;....guess he did a heck of alot of kissing.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 09:36 PM

Anne, that's what I've always been told too, that once you've had mono, you have a lifetime immunity. And yet my doctor still checks for it every now and again, trying to figure out the elevated WBC and fatigue. So that would seem to imply that it's not an absolute certainty that it doesn't recur.

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:39 PM

thanks Anno, Chatty!
D

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:46 PM

thanks gims
Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:47 PM

Cindy, thanks so much!
Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:50 PM

Edelweiss,
I'll try not to climb the walls, but it's hard!
Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:51 PM

Kathy,
Yes, reading is one thing I can do!
Thanks,
Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:54 PM

Eagleheart,
Thanks, I'll heed your advice and say in bed! I don't want complications! Sorry to hear it was so hard on you!
Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/10/08 11:57 PM

thanks, Dotsie!
D.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/11/08 02:58 PM

Dancer...how is your son and his bout with Mono? I haven't heard you mention him. Hope you're getting rest...you've got a great excuse to control the remote control..and get foot massages.
Hang in there.

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/11/08 08:02 PM

Thanks, Dee. My son is over it. He has preceeded with his trip to India to study for a couple months on a Fellowship.
Kids...they get through these things easier!

Thanks again,
Dancer
Posted by: Dee

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/11/08 08:17 PM

Glad to hear your son is fine. Youth has its advantages and healing quickly is one of them. And, you're so welcome.
Posted by: Di

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 01:25 PM

My bout with mono, 1982, was due to over exertion. I'd been on a cruise and WHAM...on the plane home it started. I was off work the next six weeks. And I did not kiss anyone on that cruise! (but my sister met her husband on it!)

Dancer.......how are you feeling??
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 06:47 PM

Dancer...Hope you're feeling better each day. My daughter had Mono and was so very sick with it. Had Tonsilitis and high fevers, dehydration. She was so weak and it took her a while to get over it.

So, my dear, I hope you're doing much better.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 07:26 PM

Dancer
relax and heal.Happy you are back posting.

Is this the same as Glandular Fever?.

Mountain ash

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:37 PM

Hi Mountain Ash, and thanks! I'm not sure if they are the same!

Could those of you who have experienced Mono give me some idea of how it presented in you? The worst symptoms, etc?
It would be of great help!

Dancer
Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:39 PM

Thanks Sandpiper. Also, knowing her symptoms helps!

Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:56 PM

Mine was swollen glands and extreme fatigue.

then, about 9 months later, I developed tonsillitis. Had my tonsils out at age 26!

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:56 PM

Hi Di!
Could you share your symptoms with me?

Dancer

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:58 PM

Thanks Di. That's about what's happening here.

Dancer
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:59 PM

My son at 18 years..very swollen glands in neck.Throat septic (quinsy )This was really bad.
Body and limbs tired and needed sleep.He was at University studying but returned home instead of Halls so he could rest better.He managed his timetable by negotiating times.

I made sure he ate a good diet..must keep drinking glasses seperate. also replace toothbrush often.(I still do this)

At school many teenagers developed glandular fever.Perhaps the kissing..also close proximity.
Montain ash

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 08:59 PM

I could not keep my eyes open. As if someone were pushing them down HARD. I could not eat either.

After my diagnosis, while I as home, I'd get up from bed and be tired I'd fall asleep on the sofa.....about 20 feet away.

IT was the worse I'd ever felt in my life. Then the tonsillitis did not help either. (see me above post)

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 09:02 PM

Thank you, Mountain, and hugs,
Dancer
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Diagnosis: Mono - 06/12/08 09:09 PM

I am so happy to hear from you that you are wrapped up in one of my afghans to stay cozy and that the newest one, for your sons birthday arrived and you are sure he will love it. Get better, rest and God's blessings...