Getting Married in our 50's or later......

Posted by: ladyjane

Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/17/07 11:52 AM

I just had to start this thread because in some of the others, it naturally leads to discussions (at the end) of the joys and tribulations of later in life newlyweds. I'd love to hear others thoughts on what it was/is like and how they keep it going!
In some ways I've found it to be easier and yet in my situation the first couple of years was no easier than when I was in my twenties...so many different issues. We were married 3 years ago when I was 50 and he was 55, second marriages for both of us. How did you meet? What were some of the obstacles in the beginning and/or what have they become with time? How do you cope or deal with them?
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/17/07 05:42 PM

It's easier now because I know I will never marry again (even if he passes away) and there isn't that ego to jump in and threaten to leave if there is a big argument. I guess I've grown up.

We met at a restaurant while both waiting for a table. Only obstacle was stepchildren. When I stopped competiting, the competition stopped too.
Posted by: Casey

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/18/07 12:04 AM

We met on the internet. I had a problem child who stole 300+ CDs from him (they were being stored in the garage), broke the antenna from his car and generally raised havoc. Ken still stayed. I was hooked.

It gets easier because we have both matured enough to keep the focus on ourselves, not have the other person meet all our needs and keep growing.

It also helps, as my girlfriend said, that I finally got it right. :-))

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/18/07 11:13 AM

Casey, Your statement "It gets easier because we have both matured enough to keep the focus on ourselves, not have the other person meet all our needs and keep growing" is so true! When we're younger we seem to think that this new person needs to meet ALL of our emotional and other needs rather than realizing that we're responsible for ourselves! Good point. I, too, met my husband on the internet....Match.com. He found me. We emailed for about a week and then met at a bluesy nightclub where he played with the band.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/19/07 03:17 PM

I keep hearing this, but still tell mly kids to stay away from internet dating.

Do you recommend it to young adults?

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/19/07 03:38 PM

Honestly, I think I have to agree about young people and internet dating. I'm not sure how I'd handle it if I had teens of 20-something single kids. I fear for them, not through their own fault, but because of who they are at the age....we've all been there....some of us smarter and wiser than others! I think it would open up the world a bit much. Kids are just naturally braver than more cautious older adults about most things. There are strange people out there. I still found that to be true when I was internet dating. I corresponded awhile and if I felt it was worth a meeting, it was always in a public place with my own car. We hear from the news how kids are so trusting in giving out names and addresses and other particulars online. If one is very cautious and takes their time (and follows their gut)it can be an okay method of meeting people you would otherwise never have a chance to (no matter what age), but my own children? I think I'd be passing out the warnings, too. I met a few weirdos.
Posted by: Countrygirl

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/19/07 04:15 PM

Internet dating? Hmmm...I would have been too afraid I think! My daughter has a friend she met online and I was SO afraid that this so-called teenage girl was actually some horrible dirty old paedo out to get her!! It took a long time (and a webcam) to convince me she was just a regular girl!! LOL
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/22/07 04:56 PM

Thanks for responding. I know some kids use the internet to meet, but I'm afraid they might not see the warning signs that we more mature adults would see.

They say love is blind. I've got to believe it is even more so online!

Country, yes, the same goes for maing friend of the same sex. You never know if they are cahtting to reel them in for something horrible.

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 10/23/07 12:12 AM

I think our kids are much more comfortable with the internet than we are. However, I agree that they don't necessarily have the sense they need. So, it's really important that they get the message over and over to be careful, always meet in a public place, etc.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/02/07 11:44 PM

Saw an interesting thing in todays Senior Times Newspaper. They are expecting (so far-registered) 18 couples+ that will be married on Christmas day here in Las Vegas wedding chapels. Nothing special you say, maybe it is because all the couples are over 50 years of age, some are way over...

I find that charming and filled with hope for those of us looking, and in our senior years.

I was asked one night at a Church function whether I would ever consider getting married again? I had to think long and hard on my way home and decided, I might, if the right man came along. But I have such a warped trust issue after number 3, it makes it hard. I thought he was going to be my last husband and we would be together until the end. I've been told I scare men off with my inquisition type mentality. My son calls me "Charlock Holmes." LOL!

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/03/07 02:08 PM

Charlock Holmes....LOL!!!!! But, hey, you've lived through it and you CANNOT be tooooo careful! But...never say never...I've lived long enough to not say that word. It takes the right person and time to really know!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/03/07 03:17 PM

We met on the internet too. Neither of us was out to find the love of our lives, but we did anyway.

I have met just as many weirdos off of the internet as on the internet. I guess I just find it one more tool.

I agree, ladyjane, never say never. You never (oops) really know...
Posted by: orchid

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/04/07 11:06 PM

Where have you chosen to look for these men who are "unreliable" (and probably are) so far, Anne? You might find certain guys in some type of sports clubs/groups/activities, for some guys who regularily exercise, eat well (and they WANT to cook their food to stay healthy) and drink only occasionally, there would be different guys because of their lifestyle choices. Some of these guys also volunteer to their community regularily....a good signal that they "give" to others when their heart/brain is committed.

It would be a mistake to consider a guy on his "fitness" to become your caregiver when old/frail, but it is only 1 consideration. I would be laying more emphasis on real, long-term trust for honesty and sexual fidelity in the relationship. After all, I figure I might easily outlive my guy, so I'll be alone and frail anyways, to fend for myself. So ALOT of women don't win here, since already statistics show they tend to outlive men in North America.

While true, some guys don't seem to have caregiving tendencies, but remember, some women don't either.

Most important of all, for women who fall in love in their middle years and beyond, if they have been single for long stretches in life but have lived successfully and productively so far with positive experiences in family, work and travel, then their own self-respect, security and self-understanding does not need to lean on the approval of any man.

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/05/07 12:41 PM

I agree that you have to throw the idea of caregiver out. Life is too uncertain and we don't know the future....thank God!

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/05/07 08:55 PM

Quote:

Can't throw the idea out.....statistics show that 90% of men leave when faced with caring for a terminally ill partner.....90% of women stay. Plus I began learning it all first hand at age 9.

I do meet men in healthy situations because I do not frequent places or activities where unhealthful stuff takes place. No bars, not thru acquaintences who drink excessively, etc. And if I don't find anyone that's fine with me, their loss.

If the guy is naturally helpful to many people without asking, and this is shown over and over AND he's not doin' it to please you, then maybe a sign.

The probability that guy/partner will leave a terminally ill wife can happen..or not. What do you plan to do? Make sure you have it in your pre-nupitual agreement?

But I agree a financially responsible guy is important as part of the whole character.

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/06/07 08:27 PM

Anne, I agree wholeheartedly and its true what they have done, they will do again, good or bad!!! I am always interested in how a man gets on with his mother. My third husband hated his mother and they have never spoken to this day as far as I know. She is 87 like my mother, and lives alone up in Minnesota.

Everything here on the boards is just friendly advice, my words as well, BUT you will be the one to live with your decision etc. so handle it to suit yourself...always!

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/06/07 08:38 PM

I agree that the decision is yours and yours alone. All we can do is throw out ideas and thoughts. I understand completely because I do hope my husband would gladly care for me at home if it came to that....but....I can never be 100% sure. In fact, in some cases, it can almost become impossible. My dad cared for my Mom for 8 years in her Alzheimer's. He fed her, bathed her (while getting physically abused), changed her adult briefs and exhausted himself...yet never complained. We were all so concerned for his wellbeing. She went into a coma like state and was sent to the hospital. At that point it was out of his hands. She went to a nursing home and he continued to visit each day and carry on some of the care. Sometimes asking someone to care for you to the end and making them promise becomes a terrible heartache for the caregiver because they "promised" a loved one. In the case of a terminal cancer patient, for instance, it may be more possible with the aid of hospice and visiting nurses services. There are lots of things to think about and project...because none of us can be certain how our lives will play out in the end. A man (or a woman) can be the sweetest, most caring people in the world but may not make a good caregiver or be able to give the care needed emotionally or physically when or if it comes down to that. Just some food for thought.

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/06/07 10:54 PM

Quote:

Can't throw the idea out.....statistics show that 90% of men leave when faced with caring for a terminally ill partner.....90% of women stay. Plus I began learning it all first hand at age 9.

Anne, where did you find that statistic? I find it difficult to imagine that 90% of men leave.
Thanks,
Casey

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/07/07 12:04 AM

I'd have to agree that having a history of not helping friends -- ever -- would probably not indicate poor caregiving to a loved one. Or it might not. So much depends on what was asked and what someone felt capable of giving.

What are you doing to make sure that you don't need a caregiver any time soon? And, do you have long term health care insurance?

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/07/07 05:35 AM

Well, my only comment about feeling vulnerable to possible male goldiggers....make sure your house is always under your name on the property title, even if he moves in to share a home.

But then, Anne you are at an age, really you probably could enjoy living solo at home...and get to know the guy for a few years. There's no reason for rushing. What for? It certainly isn't the biological fertility clock.

In all honesty, I've only loaned money to my parents and 1-2 siblings. They all paid back. Would I lend to friends, etc.? I mean hundreds or thousands of dollars.

No, I don't. I am actually bewildered by people who do this and then their friendship sours.. Yea, well.

Real friends, never want your money or physical assets. Ever. THey want you safe, healthy, sound in mind and happy.

Yes, I know someone who has no family left. Her father died just 1/2 yr. ago. She is 52-53 yrs old. Yes, she tried to look after her dying father from cancer...he was living in Germany and she in Canada. So she flew over...for several months...several times over past few years.. and dealt with the health care workers, insurance company...Good thing she never lost her German language fluency. SHe is the sort of woman that would immediately tell a money-sucking guy to go somewhere else. Immediately.

Chatty's comment is interesting ie. a guy's relationship with his mom. Depends if the mother/woman is nice person herself. True, I did pay attention to my partner's relationship with his mother. And also to know her myself.
And yes, he always had a good relationship with her. Respectful, calm and open dialogue between the 2 of them.

How a guy interacts with his mother...and his sisters might indicate something. All of us learn good or dysfunctional or avoid dysfunctional relationships....from our birth family.

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/08/07 07:26 PM

Anne, I agree 100%. I was made a fool of by trusting a scoundrel who was here only because he wanted to escape from his lousy life in MN. He wanted a woman with a secure income, a home and all the toys. He found one, ME!!! I believed all his lies and suffered for it, Now, as I said in another post my son laughingly calls me Charlock Holmes because I investigate a person till I know how many hairs he has on his a//!!! LOL...I too remain alone due to the lack of trust in anything these guys say. I don't mean to be so innerly angry at men, but I am, and can't seem to get past it...

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/08/07 09:23 PM

Anne, I hope you don't feel that I was getting after you in anyway. I would feel terrible. I only tried to address the caregiver part of the situation you spoke of initially. I know lack of trust because I'm remarried and find that though my trust inches up a little at a time, I still don't trust at all. That is probably not fair at all. I left 30 years of marriage after a cheating man (my husband and a minister at that) blindsided me like I can't believe. I rebounded...very, very sad to say that and had some very bad times in my new marriage. It's better now but the lack of trust is still evident, especially in my own heart because I KNOW better than he or anyone else how I truly feel. I am so sorry for you that can't find anyone but golddiggers and cheaters. It's sad that they seem to be so prevalent. I met a few while dating. Please accept my apologies if you felt I was unfair in any way.

Re: Getting Married in our 50's or later...... - 11/09/07 05:48 AM

If one day, I outlive my honey, I'm not sure if I could easily fall in love with another guy. part of it is the trust thing and also he and I truly are compatible together in many fronts.

For myself personally, it is abit mindboggling how I did trust him at the start and onward.

But keep in mind, Anne, I had recently bought my own home solo...when I met my partner. I chose to live in it and I remained its owner legally for the next 14 years. Of course he and I spent lots of time together at each other's homes. It was alot of healthy cycling between the 2 homes..

On the other hand he had already made up his mind to rent and have his place for his growing children on the days he had them, as part of the child custody arrangements. He had no interest in owning a place with me. Nor would I have wanted share ownership with anyone. I had already budgeted to pay off my home, solo...which I did.

It was Anne, not because of lack of trust, but more of personal pride that I try to finance a home myself.

And for the all the women who are scared and feel they need (deep down) to depend on man financially to survive, there's plenty evidence that one CAN survive financially solo. You just have to plan it.