online dating sites

Posted by: Dotsie

online dating sites - 02/20/06 10:46 PM

Do any of you single women use the online dating sites to meet people, or if you are married or in a relationship, did you?

Due to the nature of my site, I continue to receive information about more and more of them popping up online for boomers.

Do you have any favorites?

Why, or why don't you use them?

www.fiftyplusconnect.com is advertising on BWS. Miriam is the site owner and she is delightful.
Posted by: Doctor Karen

Re: online dating sites - 02/21/06 09:13 AM

Hi Dotsie, Well, I think I qualify as a mini-expert at least. I've been doing the online dating thing for almost 3 years. Haven't found Mr. Right but met some nice gentlemen. I'm 62 so the field is somewhat limited.

I've used Match.com and Yahoo Personals. One of the issues for some of the smaller sites is that there isn't anyone in your own area, whereas with the big ones there are always dozens who live nearby. Now that doesn't mean they want YOU!

I've probably gone on first dates with three dozen men over the 3 years (most initiated by my letter to them). A handful turned into brief relationships and one lasted 8 months (the first!).

I have learned a tremendous amount about dating and men, especially at this phase of life. Men probably have it much easier in the online world--many consider it a "candy store" and never settle down with one person since they get so much attention from so many women.

For example, I've had 4 first "meets" in the past 2 months--I was interested in all 4 but the first 3 disappeared after the first meet (this is not for the faint of heart...men just can't tell you directly that they don't like you, so they just disappear after saying things that sound like they're interested).

So I don't put a lot of energy into it. I make sure I have a lot of other planned activities (like writing and acting classes) on my agenda. The dating is just an extra and if I run across Prince Charming so be it.

I only ran across one bad actor the entire time and he was another psychologist like me...now that's scary!

So online dating has it ups and downs but there aren't many other ways to meet men...so use it with some caution, lots of objectivity, and realistic expectations. As my friend said to me...well, a girl's gotta eat!! Karen
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: online dating sites - 02/22/06 04:18 PM

They still scare me to death. I had about given up on any serious relationship but did get introduced to a Detective some months back and have been seeing him for dinners etc. He is a widower and really a lot of fun. So who knows?
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: online dating sites - 02/23/06 02:24 AM

Cool, Chatty! Keep us posted on this guy.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: online dating sites - 02/23/06 05:18 AM

Chatty,
How exciting as Bluebird said keep us posted .
Posted by: Dianne

Re: online dating sites - 02/23/06 09:56 PM

You're dating, Chatty? I think that's great.

During my dating days we didn't have online sites. They did have personals in the newspaper but I never used them.

At least online you can see a picture but who knows if it's really them in the picture or one taken 20 years ago. [Eek!]

Re: online dating sites - 02/23/06 09:57 PM

I wanted to add that my sister met her French husband on an online dating service.

Re: online dating sites - 02/23/06 10:07 PM

Karen, a candy store? That sickens me.

Are the majority of the men you've met true to who they say they are in their ads? I'm sure it's hard to tell, but have you ever cuaght any of them forgetting what they posted aobut themselves?

I have a friend who met a guy online and they were speaking to one another daily. then all the sudden he vanished.

She chose not to let it go. She figured why go chasing him is he isn't true to his word! That's the difference between women in midlife dating in comparison to the 20 somethings. Then we thought we could change them. Now we know better.

Chatty, how did you meet him? A detective in Vegas? I bet it would be fun to pick his brains.

Re: online dating sites - 02/24/06 02:11 AM

Dotsie, Dianne, Bluebird and Renee, Actually I have been aware of this man for quite awhile, many months, but until a dinner the SPCA had here I had only spoken to him on work related matters, you see he works on Animal Abuse cases seeing that the abusers are arrested and prosecuted to the extent of the law. He does this for the SPCA but is actually a Homicide Detective. One of the Authors in my Writers Group has picked his brain for his Crime novels and he has published numerous ones. I write Mystery Flash Fiction and as you know am an animal activist to the max and he is too, so it was kismet that we would meet, at least thats what he says. He asked me one evening after we had retrieved 4 puppies someone dumped at a rest stop probably passing through town, if I'd like to go for coffee? It was about 11:00 PM and we ended up talking for nearly 3 hours. The man makes my knees weak and thats a new one for me. Thats all I'll write here but if theres anything else my "friends" want to know just email me please. I choose to keep some things private now on the boards for obvious reasons. [Frown]

Re: online dating sites - 02/24/06 02:43 AM

He makes your knees weak? Wow. That's cool.

Could be a match made in heaven with your mutual interests. The two of you could rid Vegas of animal abusers.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: online dating sites - 02/24/06 03:13 AM

Now that's romantic...rescuing puppies together.
Weak knees, you say? I know that feeling! [Cool]
Posted by: overthehillchick

Re: online dating sites - 02/25/06 07:25 AM

Ohhh...I hope I don't open a can of worms with this one, but online dating sites are not the place to find your soul mate if that is what you're after. If you're after dates, then it's fine if you are on your p's and q's, but finding your soul mate? I shudder to think. I know there are a few people that have found their special someone on the dating sites but it's rather rare. Guess the cosmos was lined up at the right time. I talk to too many women using places like Match.com, etc...and their stories would be enough to fill a horror book. The thing is, and I'll try to be brief, but the dating sites prey on the lonely, widowed, whatever, to survive. The thing is, if you can find something in your life to take up this lonely period - classes, hobbies, whatever - you are going to become prime bait for your soul mate to enter your life. And I say this because I know that a woman has to discover herself and learn to love herself before she can have a long-term relationship with anyone. Once she can get to that point in her life, she aligns herself to be in the right position to have someone come into her life. Actively seeking your soul mate or any mate is not the answer. Find yourself and your soul mate will find you.
Posted by: Doctor Karen

Re: online dating sites - 02/25/06 10:23 AM

My "lonely period" has been approximately 62 years. I've never been "prime bait" for anyone. The painful truth is that there are women whom men date and women they don't date. And it has nothing to do with brains, looks, or even sexuality (take a look at the photos, which are recent, on my website). I've always been active, found myself long ago, stay involved, busy, take every acting, writing, and professional class around, do church, community activities, am educated, attractive, active, etc. etc. I've survived just fine...but I've only had two men who even pretended to be attracted to me (one when I was 18 years old and one when I was 59 years old, and those two "relationships" lasted a total of about a dozen dates).

I married two men (whom I didn't love, nor did they love me--both needed a place to live) I picked up in bars because there had been absolutely no other offers by the time I was 23 and I wanted children (and did end up with two beautiful ones, thank the Lord). And there haven't been any genuine offers since I divorced in 1985. I was totally alone for 18 years (I mean not a coffee date, nada) until I tried to do the online dating (which for me is excruciating because I am still painfully shy) but at least I'm trying.

I realize this sounds obnoxiously whiny, but it's the truth. Two of my best women friends did find the loves of their lives online, both wonderful gentlemen.

Last weekend's "prospect", an educated, trim and handsome, college professor, spent 3 hours walking and talking with me, went on and on and even wrote later that he had such a lovely time and that I was so easy to talk to, so intelligent and attractive. But it ended the way most of these first dates have, he just disappeared. So now I can add "see you very soon" to the long list of kiss-off phrases which include, "Can I call you tomorrow," "Let's keep in touch," "I would love to get to know you better." I'm serious...those are their exact words.

So, why you ask, don't I just give it up? Who knows. Glutton for punishment, I guess. Still wanting to be loved just like other women have been...and wondering how the hell they make it happen. My soul mate definitely has not found me and I sure haven't been able to find him even with my best efforts.

Sorry for the rebuttal but most women who tell me that I'm so wonderful and that some man will come along who appreciates all I am are usually women who have had someone of their own (at least once in their lives)...and have no idea what it feels like to NEVER have experienced being truly loved by a man. I'll let the rest of you carry on this dialogue...too dang depressing.

By the way, I help other women through this crap all the time...thousands of them (probably have seen 8,000 women in my 37 years in practice). It's really too bad it isn't a two way street. The downside of being a therapist. More power to all of you who have let go of the whole thing.

Re: online dating sites - 02/25/06 07:04 PM

When single, I dated a lot. Some were okay, some were not okay and others were losers. But some of them turned into close friends and when I left AZ to be with David in OH, I threw my own going away party and invited all of my single friends, male and female and introduced them to each other. Some of them hooked up and had serious relationships.

I thought dating was fun if you had the right people but I just never met anyone who really set my heart on fire until I stopped dating and didn't care anymore and there he was. I met him in a restaurant while waiting for a table.

I think if you can look at it as an adventure and a way of making a new friend with no expectations for anything else, it can be a bonus.

This coming from an old married lady! [Big Grin] However, I'm not so old that I've forgotten what it was like to be on the dating scene.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: online dating sites - 02/25/06 07:08 PM

I have never used online dating. It wasn't around 1987. But during my "single again" years ( 1987-roughly 1993 when I met my second/current husband and "soul mate")I used the personals several times. (Not how I met my husband, by the way) I found some real doozies. I found that most of them lie - a lot. I tried it for a while and decided it wasn't for me. The last time I answered one of those personals, it turned out to be my own brother! So, I do know that there are some decent men who do this, but I also know they stretch the truth. Thought you'd get a kick out of this story.

My girlfriend has used some of the online sites. You have to be extremely cautious with this. It is so easy for them to lie and to hide stuff from unsuspecting women who go on there in good faith hoping to meet Mr. Right.
Louisa

[Embarrassed]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: online dating sites - 02/25/06 07:09 PM

The gremlin ended up in the wrong spot. I couldn't make them work this morning.
Louisa
Posted by: Sadie

Re: online dating sites - 02/26/06 08:35 AM

Lousia,
That story about answering you own brothers add would make a good short article for a magazine . That is so funny . I meet my husband at a party so I guess you do take a chance with online dating , but that is up to the you what you want to do . Who am I to say!

Re: online dating sites - 02/25/06 09:15 PM

I laughed when I read that too. It WOULD make a great article about online dating. That has to be the funniest story I've ever heard. Louisa, can you give us more details about how it happened? I'd love to hear it!

[ February 25, 2006, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

Re: online dating sites - 02/26/06 01:02 AM

Very cute when you think about it Louisa made me smile...Theres a movie out where the daugher played by Dianne Lane answers her own fathers personal ad..

Possibly Dr. Karen the men you meet might be intimidated by the fact that you are a Therapist. Maybe their afraid you'll be analizing them or be able to see right through whatever false face they try to put forth. You know how men like to feel in control....
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: online dating sites - 02/26/06 08:41 AM

I just watched the movie you are talking about Chatty..its called "Must Love Dogs"...I thought it was a cute movie until Stockard Channing"s character starting carrying on a romance with a 15 year old boy online...and then he turned up on her doorstep...it turned out she had quite a few different profiles and personas online and just sort of went with whichever one got the most responses...I have the feeling that quite a lot of people ....not all.....really stretch the truth on those dating sites...One of my girlfriends who is really pretty emailed a guy on Match.com..they agreed to meet for a drink...she met him...they had 2 glasses of wine...she thought there was a connection...but he stood up to leave saying he had to get back to the hospital to check on a patient (he claimed to be a Cardiologist)and that he would call her next week...as they were leaving the restaurant he said good bye and went to the Men's room...she sat in her car for a few minutes...and damn if he didn't come bustling out looking at his watch and walked right into the restaurant next door...after 10 minutes she walked in and saw him sitting at the bar with another lady...this guy was an operator for sure!!!

Re: online dating sites - 02/27/06 04:23 AM

Oh my and thats just two more reasons these things scare the beegeebies out if me...too many horror stories out there. Thank God she found him out before any real damage was done....
Posted by: latebloominglady

Re: online dating sites - 05/22/06 11:50 AM

Hello, everyone: I'm so glad I found this site. Your insights & sharing of experiences are fascinating, touching, & inspiring. I'm trying to get back into the dating game at age 53, despite the total lack of encouragement by anyone I've told this to. I was very struck by something Doctor Karen said & hope she has time to elaborate:

"The painful truth is that there are women whom men date and women they don't date. And it has nothing to do with brains, looks, or even sexuality (take a look at the photos, which are recent, on my website)."

I fear I've more often than not been one of those women that men don't date. I'm not sure why. Ever since high school my reactions from males has run the gamut from those who were interested in me but threw in the towel at the first bump in the road, or were really really not into me at all. I've often thought that at various points in my life I have either not been attractive enough to overcome any baggage I might be carrying, or not interesting enough. I'm shy and reserved in some circumstances, but not all. I know I've let my self-consciousness about my weight and shape (which at times have been 15 pounds too much) prevent me from dressing sexily (I tend to hide under oversized blouses). But lots of women apparently do that. I'm no beauty queen but, again, the same can be said of many women. What I'm getting at is, I think my overall problem is that somehow, someway, I'm giving off an un-datable "vibe." In reading through many of your posts on this "single" forum I get the idea that many of you ladies get male attention. I sadly just don't get that. I'm not willing to give up, though. I'm 53 and I think that's too young (assuming I'll be alive a good many more years!!) to just pack it all in and call it a day, in terms of men. I don't particularly expect or even want marriage---but I certainly want friendship, company, dating, sex again. It's been many years since my last relationship. I would greatly appreciate any insights Doctor Karen or anyone else could share about this notion that some women are simply not the kind of women men ask out. Thanks and have a great week.

Re: online dating sites - 05/22/06 08:07 PM

latebloominglady, welcome to our neighborhood. I'm glad you jumped in. I'm one of the married old farts in here so I don't have much advice. However, I would like to say that I think you should think less about your appearance and more about your personality and the gifts you have to offer in a relationship (of which I'm sure are many.. )
Posted by: Casey

Re: online dating sites - 05/22/06 08:30 PM

I met my last (and best) husband on the Internet -- unfortunately, I can't remember the site. At that point I wasn't looking for marriage material -- just companionship and ...
We did a lot of emailing and I asked for a reference from a friend of his. A female friend told me how great and safe he was -- all true.

But this occurred after a lot of work I had done on myself. There's a great book called "Are You the One for Me?" by Barbara DeAngelis. I also went to a psychic in despair that I would ever find anyone at the age of 49, especially since my teenage son was into drugs and a real problem. She told me there was someone out there for me (true or not, it gave me hope, which is something I needed), to write out my life story and get some body work done. I did and got more of a sense of self, less desparation and more contentedness.

A client of mine in her 30s who is also looking had a great line last week, "I need to be the person I want to meet."

Hope that helps and good luck!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: online dating sites - 05/22/06 09:04 PM

latebloominglady, WELCOME! I don't have a spin on whether someone is "datable" or not, but I do believe we can give off "don't come near me" vibes or other kinds. Yes I do believe this.

I am a firm believer in "you are what you think." I told my Daddy years and years ago (teenager years) that I couldn't understand why so-n-so didn't call me for a date. I added, "I guess I'm just not good enough for him. Yes, it was self-pity.

Daddy said, "If you think you are good enough, you are. If you think you are NOT good enough, you are right again."

While I didn't want the philosophy, I wanted someone to join my pity party, he was right.

I think alot of times when we meet people, the things going on in our lives effects the "vibes" we give to others. For instance, I've been in a bad mood before (I know, hard to believe, isn't it?) and upon meeting people I came across as a negative individual. When the opposite is true.

Here's what I believe in a nutshell....focus on what you WANT, not what you LACK. If you focus on what is NOT in your life, or the LACK of something, the Universe hears it and gives you more of it. God wants you to have all things...but if what you want is not what you believe you deserve, then you will get what you focus on, which is "no mate, no companion" etc...

Try this exercise...think about Mr. Right and what kind of qualities you would want in a person...focus on that for a week. Add to it, subtract from it as you design your life. Also think about how you want to "come across" to everybody you meet, (i.e., happy, secure, "dateable"). Keep these thoughts in your mind and don't let negative ones enter, not even the ones that say, "but what if...'

Okay, I'm getting on a soapbox...I'll quit. Forgive...but I think we have to be and feel good inside and then it projects, outside.

JJ
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: online dating sites - 05/22/06 09:56 PM

I've been with the same man since I was 18, that's 30 years now!

And as much as I love him and plan to share the rest of my life with him, I DO sometimes wonder what kind of guy eharmony would pick for me. It sounds fun to go through the psychological profile and then see what happens.

But I won't - I'm married and I'm a chicken!! Braack!

Re: online dating sites - 05/22/06 11:36 PM

Thanks, ladies. I appreciate your comments. I’ll cut & paste a few of them with my responses below, okay?

“However, I would like to say that I think you should think less about your appearance and more about your personality and the gifts you have to offer in a relationship (of which I'm sure are many.. )”

If you’ll go back & reread my original post, you’ll see that I said I didn’t really think the problem was with my appearance.... I do realize personality is a factor. I’ve been described as “real” and “genuine” and “friendly” and “warm”---but those words don’t seem to make me appealing as a date, I guess. I don’t know.

----

“A client of mine in her 30s who is also looking had a great line last week, "I need to be the person I want to meet."

That’s a very interesting concept—thanks! Also, I’ll check out that DeAngelis book; I’ve heard others speak highly of it.

----

“Yes, it was self-pity.”
“While I didn't want the philosophy, I wanted someone to join my pity party, he was right.”

Golly,with all due respect (and appreciation for your taking the time to answer my post), I really dislike characterizing people as wanting to have “pity parties.” To me, someone who “pities” herself isn’t really someone who reaches out and asks for constructive insights; rather, she just sits there and thinks there are no answers. And that does not describe me.

“Try this exercise...think about Mr. Right and what kind of qualities you would want in a person...focus on that for a week. Add to it, subtract from it as you design your life. Also think about how you want to "come across" to everybody you meet, (i.e., happy, secure, "dateable"). Keep these thoughts in your mind and don't let negative ones enter, not even the ones that say, "but what if...”

I think this makes a lot of sense ... and I’ve actually tried to come across as someone I’d like to meet. For example: I think it’s important to listen to people when they talk to you rather than think about what I want to say. On the phone when I’ve spoken to men I’m going to have a blind date with (I signed up for a “let’s have lunch” type of dating service one time; and I have a divorced friend who knows a lot of single men who claim they are wanting to meet someone to date), they always tell me I’m a great listener and someone they really enjoy talking to. (I “give great conversation.”) Then, when I meet these fellows for our date, they take one look and are not interested. I always have approached these dates with the attitude of “even if we don’t have chemistry, this is a great chance just to meet someone nice, a friend, whatever.” I also am very nice to the person even if I am not attracted to him. On the other hand, these guys act like they can’t stand to even endure a cup of coffee with me. Again, though I wouldn’t win a beauty contest, I do take pride in my appearance and think I look as attractive as some women.)

-----

“but I think we have to be and feel good inside and then it projects, outside.”

I’ve heard this so many times, and it really does make sense. It really does. However, I know so many wonderful women who have lousy self-esteem and yet they seem to have no problem attracting men. So it makes me wonder how they differ from me.

----

I have a married friend who has told me point blank I am “obviously not doing something right.” In her case, when she said the same of herself, she changed how she dressed (from that of a tomboy to a professional working woman) and even moved to a gated community that had the type of men in it she wanted to end up with (family types rather than the arty types she had been living around in the city). She extends this advice in areas I will not consider, though: She told me I should never spend any time with any gay male friends because that announces to the world that I only like gay male friends. Wow. She also I think, quite frankly, is just prejudiced against gay people (based on other things she has said about the whole subject), and that is something I simply cannot tolerate. I don’t even see my two gay male friends but half a dozen times a year, at most, but they are my friends and I will not dump them from my life. But I digress....

You know what? I think what has baffled me is that I have known so many women who do not have high self-esteem and do not practice the things you have mentioned here (thinking about what you want rather than what you lack, for example) and who may or may not be considered attractive who nevertheless seem to attract men. It’s hard at times for me, who tends to like to solve problems, to understand how their behavior and “self-talk” is so wildly different from mine. But perhaps it is.

I’ll throw another question out at you ladies. I’ve already made up my mind on this one, but I’m still curious what you think: For someone who hasn’t ever been married and has only dated in her life, is 53 too young to pack it all in and give up on ever having romance again? I say absolutely not, but some of my senior friends (and even friends of my own age) who are married with kids, grandkids, etc., roll their eyes and imply I should just give up. I know, it doesn’t matter what they think. But their attitude is puzzling to me and I’m curious if other boomer women agree.

I hope "the Doctor" is still reading this post and will have time to let me know what she was getting about when she said in her practice that she's met many women whom men just don't date.

Anyway, many thanks, again. ladies, for your thoughts.

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 02:11 AM

I'm no longer single but I used to be called a dating professional by my girlfriends and I haven't forgotten what it was like so I'd like to give you my input if it's okay.

I used to talk to my male friends about the women that men approach and the ones they didn't. I had a denim jacket that read on the back, Hogs Breath...Better Than No Breath At All. My friends all said that the jacket showed I was approachable and that I had a sense of humor.

Now, if I was dressed up nicely, it's a given I wouldn't be wearing that crazy jacket but my body language, smile, etc. showed if I was approachable. I've found that the opposite sex loves a woman who is out having a good time and laughing with her friends and not the least bit concerned if she meets a man or not. That's when you have to beat the men off with a stick. If you are "looking to meet men" you can't attract a cockroach from the woodwork because that look of desperation shows.

I agree with Dr. Karen...there are women who just aren't date material. My take on this, and I'm writing this at the risk of upsetting some, is this: If we dress matronly and look more like our mother than a woman who would make a nice date, what man would want to ask us out? Who would want to date their mom? I wouldn't want to go out with a man who looked like my father and dressed like an old fashioned fuddy-duddy! I'd rather stay home.

Some will say that we don't want a man who is only interested in our outward qualities but the truth is, that is what first attracts men as they are visual creatures. So, go with the great smile, vibrant personality but also, dress like a woman who isn't imitating her mother. And, it's never to late and you're never too old to stop dating!

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 02:14 AM

P.S. There is a certain "sexiness" that has nothing to do with size or shape or looks.

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 03:03 AM

quote:
Golly,with all due respect (and appreciation for your taking the time to answer my post), I really dislike characterizing people as wanting to have “pity parties.” To me, someone who “pities” herself isn’t really someone who reaches out and asks for constructive insights; rather, she just sits there and thinks there are no answers. And that does not describe me.

Honey, I was 16. It was all about me then. I also wasn't trying to describe you, but give you the analogy that we are what we think.

It sounds like you are analyzing this so much that your becoming obsessed with the "why." Also, from what I read, you are thinking there is something wrong with YOU and trying to figure out what that is so you can correct it. Hmm...

I think the advice of just enjoying everyone you meet is good advice. Maybe?

As far as your friends saying you should give it up, you basically answered that question. At least in my mind. Why would you care what they say? SOME, notice I didn't say ALL, people who have been married for a bazillion years like to think the grass is greener on the other side and they think if they could be single, they would never marry again. I think that is why they say this...they dream of not having to share themselves, unless by choice. Just a thought.

JJ

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 03:08 AM

I heard a strange comment last week at church. I was helping set up for a luncheon with a half dozen other women and over heard a man say to the others, referring to me, "Watch out for that one, she looks at you like she can see right through you, its unnerving." I've been told that before and you know what, sometimes I can and thats why I will probably always stay single...

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 07:23 AM

I'm sure I do sound obsessed. It's just that I thought this was a forum where I could bring up this topic and discuss it, and I assumed that if no one wanted to discuss it, they'd just not comment. (I don't know all that much about message boards and blogs, and know nothing at all about instant messaging. I spend all my Internet time reading articles instead of posting comments. So I'm a bit green with this!)

Here's the deal: I'm trying to expand my horizons. The "living alone and being independent" thing is a "been there, done that" thing for me. I've done that most of my life and am comfortable being alone (probably too comfortable). I tend to err on the side of not worrying about not dating and thus not making any efforts. I'm so used to thinking of myself as going through life solo, taking care only of myself, that I don't feel challenged. I don't feel "desperate" to get married; I've accepted that I won't be a mother (having already "paused"). But I think a life that is bereft of an intimate relationship is not a fully lived one. If I had been married and gotten divorced, I'm sure I'd appreciate all the great things that living alone can bring. But I'm not coming at this from a viewpoint of a woman who has had her share of relationships. I had a few short-term boyfriends in the highschool and college years, dated a few times as an adult, and, sadly, tended to "give up" when I'd get rejected numerous times. On the plus side, I have been pretty good about calling it quits when men I've been with who have not treated me respectfully or who have had serious commitment issues.

I'm sure I could use guidance with how to dress. I agree that, like it or not, men respond visually, and I know I've fallen into the trap of dressing for comfort (and to hide my excess weight). I'm happy to report that I've been very successful the past few months in changing my attitude about food and exercise and have instituted new habits that have resulted in weight loss. It'll take time to get all the weight off (I have 40 more pounds to lose) in a healthful way, but I will.

I'm anxious to get this show on the road! I've been hibernating for several years now, in a defeatist frame of mind after too many rejections by men in the past. When I go out with friends I actually am just thinking about the fun I'm having at the moment with my friends, and I am never even considering that I should be "looking for men."

I took a glorious long walk this evening in a park and, as I often feel, was happy just to be alive and healthy and enjoying the walk. I decided to look at people as I passed them, and smiled at some of them as well. They smiled back. So I think I need to get in the habit of expressing the good things I feel inside. I 've tended to probably schlump around a bit, like a loner, head ducked, etc. No more.

I know as I write this that so many people have faced and conquered so many horrendous obstacles in their life. I know what I'm talking about is nothing, simply nothing, compared with the problems of others.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. I appreciate all the advice. I agree we shouldn't dress like our mothers. Does anyone ever watch that hilarious makeover show on TLC called "What Not to Wear"? I should take some of their advice and dress like a woman instead of like a nondescript person who is hiding her body.

Best wishes to all of you ladies.

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 08:36 AM

I think you explain yourself, your feelings, and your outlook beautifully. And I think you should follow your dream, desire, or whatever you chose to call it, of having a partner to share things with. Your post also gives me the feeling that you're ready to move on to the next chapter in your life and are open to changes, if necessary.

Personally, I think you should be patting yourself on the back. It sounds like you have it going on.

Girlfriend, there will always be people who go through worse things than some of our own problems, but that doesn't make your post or discussion any less valuable. Please feel free to express yourself here.

I can only hope that our feedback aids you in some way. It's so hard to "hear" the love coming through sometimes, isn't it? It may sound more like preaching but please know we are here to connect, share, and encourage.

I watch the show you're referring to sometimes. It's a hoot. Those girls get all over the person, don't they? I would die if they showed up at my door!

Good luck with your quest. My best, JJ

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 06:46 PM

I've never really had a weight problem but did pack on about 17 lbs once and I didn't feel very good about myself and it really showed in my personality. I noticed that I "hid" my smile and everything else as I tried to hide my fat! Sad but true. It was difficult for me to feel good in anything I wore when it just didn't fit good or I had to dress to cover. I felt like my mother then! (I have mom issues [Big Grin] Mine let herself get fat later in life). I also blew off compliments because I didn't really believe anyone could mean them. Sad.

Something that I do as far as picking out age-appropriate clothing is this: I go through magazines and look for articles on women my age and look at what they are wearing and find a cheaper version of it. Marie Claire is great for having a splurge or steal section on clothes and make up. I don't like to show my arms so I'm always looking for outfits that cover. It's hard to find them too!

I understand about being in a place where you want companionship, romance or just company. I think it happens as we settle in and get comfortable. It's a natural part of life.

Re: online dating sites - 05/24/06 07:42 AM

Good morning, JJ & Dianne. Thanks so much for your kind words and support. I just posted a rambly note on the health forum in an attempt to give back (in response to someone needing help with weight loss). I hope I can give back more, as I have gotten so much help these past couple days.

I had to chuckle over the "mom" comments. I've had a running conversation with a cousin about the perils of dressing like mom (hers, mine, anyone's). In her case, she thought her mom dressed TOO young and looked foolish, and she thought she'd emulated that. She went through a "black and beige" period, no accessories, no frills, in an attempt to dress tastefully and maturely rather than age-inappropriately. That didn't last long, 'cause, like her mom, she just loves the bright colors and big, fun earrings, etc. (think Rue McClanahan's character on The Golden Girls & you get the picture).

I've picked up some good tips from that What Not to Wear Show, such as not hiding under over-long tent-like blouses. Summertime sure does bring challenges, doesn't it. I know what you mean about the arms. I haven't shown mine in years. My summer uniform has been light-weight pants, a sleeveless tank or T-shirt, and, an oversized short-sleeved blouse. Lovely. Just lovely... (ha ha) This summer I hope to shed some of the "armor" and god forbid, maybe show an arm or two, or even wear a dress again. I have had a hard time shaking the notion (which apparently is wrong) that even though I can't hide my size or my girth under a tent-like blouse, at least the bumps and bulges won't be visible. Being short and short legged as well as short of hair (it's genetic--all the gals in my family have thin, fine hair that just doesn't grow out nicely so we have to keep it cropped in a bob or shorter), you can imagine how unattractive my overall silhouette is---at least for someone wanting a date. Of course it should not prevent me from smiling and being and acting happy and friendly, and I will endeavor not to let it.
Dressing as I have these past years to hide my excess weight, whether it's been 10 or 15 pounds or the horrific 50 (see my post under the health category), has actually translated to dressing decidedly un-feminine. Un-datable is an understatement.

I like the idea of checking out catalgs to see what looks right on women my age. And thanks for the clothing company sites and stores.

I think you ladies are loaded with sage advice and practical tips as well as a generous spirit. I'm glad to have "met" you. Have a great day, everyone!

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 08:38 PM

I hired someone to "dress" me! I am hopeless! Granted it was for business attire and I am way overweight, but the clothes make me feel good and want to kick up my heels!

Good luck!

Re: online dating sites - 05/23/06 10:54 PM

lateblooming, what a great topic you've started here. I'm glad to hear you are getting some support from all the wise, warm and witty BWS women. We really aim to please and help.

I can't run away without mentioning soemthing that struck me while reading this topic.

Boomer women are pioneers in our own right. We are brave, courageous and more independent than any other generation of women before us...but why do we care so much about our looks? Oh how I wish we could dump that, or should I say...I could dump that.

I was at a family wedding this weekend. The place we stayed had a pool. I ventured up in my suit thinking about my cellulite. Sick, isn't it, that I wasn't thinking about hanging out and having a good time by the pool. I eventually got around to that, but when I got up to get in the pool, all the cellulite thoughts entered again. Why do I care? Why do we care?

lateblooming, I think yo are on the right track. Keep flashing those smiles and let the world know how you feel on the inside. I'm one of your new cheerleaders.

Oh, and if you want to read another great story about meeting and marrying at midlife, go to this link:

http://www.boomerwomenspeak.com/stories/take-lucky.html

It's called Luck Charm and I absolutely love it. You'll fall in love with this author.

Re: online dating sites - 05/24/06 08:32 AM

As much as I would like to take credit for the story, it isn't mine. I don't know how the name got on there...but it sure gave me a laugh...

me? married? and with kids in law school? HA!

Yuhooo...Dotsssss....I think we have a boo boo...

JJ

Re: online dating sites - 05/24/06 06:40 PM

JJ's name ended up on one of my stories too. Hmmm.

Dots, we care that other people care. I think it begins when we're teens and maybe see a middle age woman at a pool and she's overweight and has "ripply" legs and we joke or make comments with our friends (if we're of that nature)or we simply hear others making remarks, never realizing that someday we might be the one the teens are joking about. Then, it happens and history repeats itself with us as the victim and it isn't fun. We're covering ourselves just in case we're the subject of comments or repulsion. If we were alone by a pool, we wouldn't care what we looked like.

There is ego. It can be good or bad. I think if we're engrossed with our looks and anal about everything we put into our mouth or how we look all the time, it isn't healthy and to be ego-driven isn't a good thing. But, I think we need a certain amount of good ego to keep us fit and not looking like something that came out of the local circus. It's caring about us.

I have found it's easier to face the world with a smile if I feel good about myself. Maybe it's because I'm healthier and happier?

I recently bought the Total Gym for our home. When not in use, it stores under the bed. I really like it and it gives me a great workout. I'm sore today from "uping" my resistance yesterday. I can and will get these old arms back in shape! At least for Summer! [Big Grin]

Lateblooming...I had a male friend say something to me many years ago that has never left my mind. He asked, "Di, why do women who reach middle age always start dressing like their mothers and cutting their hair in menopausal styles?" I guess I don't pay that much attention because I hadn't noticed until he asked that question but he was right.

You said you have thin hair but mentioned a bob and that is a style that will never go out of style and I think very flattering. Now, I'll hop over to the health forum.

Re: online dating sites - 05/24/06 08:18 PM

Diane,
I think you are right on here.
I know that one of my "character defects" that I am struggling with right now is the need to compare -- especially when it comes to body image.

I look at someone with more weight than myself and -- zip -- I think, "well, at least I'm not THAT fat." Or some young thing -- zip -- "I wish I looked like her."

Comparing puts me in a one-down or one-up position. It is an ego thing. Yick! I really don't like doing it and am working really hard to avoid it and only compare myself (in positive ways) if I have to to where I was yesterday. So, if I can stretch a little further during my leg stretches - zip -- YEA me!

Re: online dating sites - 05/25/06 02:37 AM

Wow--my post turned up a gold mine of interesting, insightful, and thought-provoking comments. I'm not able to remember all the points I want to or are able to respond to, so bear witih me and any point I've omitted ... and please know that I've appreciated each one of you who wrote and what you had to say.

Casey, I too could use someone to dress me. That's great you found someone. It makes me think about the notion I've heard about how one should dress for the level of job they aspire to, not the level of job they are in. (I guess this pertains mostly to office work ... ?) I'm thinking that could apply to women who (for lack of a better term!) are "looking" to date. They should perhaps dress like they are in the game rather than retired from the game. When possible, of course. Doesn't Oprah have some kind of saying ... about how luck plus preparation yields results. Yikes, that's not it -- but I think it's the gist of it.

Also, Casey, your point about not comparing outselves to others is so true. A few years ago, after I'd put on 30 or so pounds, I trained myself to walk a half-marathon. I finished not only at the end, but at the end of those in my age brackeet ... but I I finished, felt fine, and it was a great experience.

I do think it's asking an awful lot of ourselves to live in a total vacuum wherein the slings and arrows of others (whether intentional or not)--you know, the running commentary about how looks, our behavior, etc.--roll off our backs. I don't know anyone really who isn't affected by negative feedback or criticism. You can feel as great about yourself as a human being as possible and still be affected by the lack of positive reactions from men, or from anyone.

Dianne, I've really loved hearing about your conversations with your male pals about women and dating. About women getting their hair cut like their moms, maybe they are referring to the tendency of some women who, once they've gotten married and started having kids, seem to think they have to cut off their long hair. I've noticed this for years. I've gotten the idea it's because they think it'll be easier to keep that way. But also I've heard all my life from the women in my family that at a certain age, long hair isnt' becoming on a middle-aged woman. Not sure I agree with that in general, though in a few instances I've seen how that can be true. Tell your pals, though, that some of us with genetically fine and thin hair just don't have any options ... thus, Da Bob!

Chatty, maybe that man who made that comment to you about seeing through people likes you and was trying (however awkwardly) to get your attention?

I've followed the advice of JJ and have mentally written up my life story, as it pertains to men and relationships. The interesting thing is that I've recalled many times when I did have choices but chose to cut my losses when the guy didn't treat me right. My mom used to tell me that I wasn't like a couple of my high school gal friends who she said "would mow down anyone to go out with any boy who asks her." She used to observe that I "wouldn't just go with anyone." She pointed out that I actually had to like or be a little ga-ga or else I wasn't interested. And she's right. Sometimes I've overcompensated by going out with someone I'm not interested in just to give them a chance, and sometimes that has worked. Anyway, the droughts I've experienced regarding men have not always been without my own contribution. I see that now. One big flaw I have is to get so discouraged that I give up with them. It's exhausting! I just want to have fun and enjoy life and want that to be enough. But it isn't. Having a relationship with a nice guy, and all that that entails, is normal from time to time over the course of one's life.

I had some rather short-lived but extremely fun and romantic and thrilling when I was younger; they ultimately didn't treat me right and I relucantly broke up with them. But the memory of frankly just how fun and wonderful romance can be hasn't left me. I know at 53 I can't expect to recapture the whole nine yards; I know that. But to try to find some middle-aged version of it is very appealing. Even if I don't find it in the end, the process could be fun. Does this make sense?

I'll sign off for now and wish everyone a great day and thank them again for their terrific insights and generosity.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: online dating sites - 05/25/06 05:29 AM

quote:
I know at 53 I can't expect to recapture the whole nine yards; I know that. [/QB]
Oh yes you can!!

The whole nine yards squared and multiplied by your age plus ten.

I know for sure cause it happened to me.

smile

Re: online dating sites - 05/25/06 05:53 PM

Anne, you are on the ball girlfriend. Don't let those guys get away with anything.

Re: online dating sites - 05/27/06 06:05 AM

Hear hear, well said Anne327. I trust my inner voice and can usually see the real person inside the outer person they want us to see. When I let them know that they either attack me (as was done in here several times) trying to change the subject or they just fade away... going elsewhere to infect unsuspecting others.
Posted by: AmyH

Re: online dating sites - 07/31/06 06:10 AM

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and thought I might contribute. I have never been one to dress and act just to please men, but sometimes we have to be realistic. The hair thing is something I learned. Most men like longer hair. I have talked to many men and very few like hair that is above the ears. Most like it to be at least below and covering the ear. I guess they are wire that way, the poor simple things!

2 years ago I started to let my hair grow back. It's about 1/2 way between my earlobe and my shoulders. All my girlfriends told me my short cut looked cute, but my guy friends all told me to let it grow longer. I did. And Now I get more male attention.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: online dating sites - 09/23/06 03:01 AM

I have a Yahoo personal ad, yet w/out a picture and am a non-paying member. I believe I'm only allowed to send a free generic message, yet cannot receive replies unless a paying membership. Anywho, even tho my ad has no photo, I usually get the "strange" fellas. I've actually send "free" messages to two gentlement, yet no reply!

There are some sneaky guys out there, some belong to 2 or more dating sites! I think it is very important to conduct some sort of background check on these guys, whether it be a search engine, google, county clerk, etc. Some counties have free public index searches (i.e., family court, civil actions, criminal, traffic, etc.). If he is married and lives with his wife, I would almost print out his ad and mail it anonomously to his wife!
Posted by: klmr13

Re: online dating sites - 10/16/06 12:58 AM

I've looked around at a few...many seem "tacky". The only one I've found that seems to have class is eHarmony.com. I was a member a couple years ago - talked to one fella for a while and then we met for coffee, which led to lunch a few weeks later. He was respectful and pleasant...but there were absolutely no "sparks". I felt like I was dining with an uncle!

Also, he had had a successful career, retired, and then went to school to become a chef...and he was sort of "food obsessed"! He always talked about his dinner parties and the menus, etc. I eat to live, not the other way around, so we really weren't a match. But it was a positive experience anyway.

Re: online dating sites - 10/16/06 09:45 AM

I checked out eHarmony and they seem to be the best of the lot. Some of the women I know here have been successful meeting decent men through them.
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: online dating sites - 10/17/06 12:25 AM

Oh Chatty, this sounds promising! I wish you the best!

Re: online dating sites - 10/17/06 02:23 AM

Chatty, please excuse me, yet the word "Detective" sounds so sexy!
Posted by: klmr13

Re: online dating sites - 10/18/06 01:17 AM

Chatty...I had written a big post yesterday about eHarmony and somehow it never materialized here. I must have done something wrong. Anyway...a couple years ago I met a man through eHarmony - we emailed back and forth a while and then we met for coffee, and then we met for lunch. He was a nice, upstanding man, but in a "kind uncle" sort of way. NO sparks. He had been able to retire early and had begun his "second career"...he had gone to culinary school and was a personal chef. He was consumed with his menu planning for the holidays, etc., and I eat to live, not the other way around, so it wasn't of much interest to me. After the luncheon (at a Thai restaurant) we sort of said our "good-byes" and that was that.

I haven't had any luck since then, but I have to say that the men seem to be of a higher caliber on eHarmony. I haven't joined any other dating sites, but sometimes I do a free "search" and I see an awful lot of creepy types on some of the other dating sites. Ugh...

Re: online dating sites - 10/23/06 02:40 AM

Anne, no I do not believe they do. However, a site titled:

dontdatehimgirl.com

appears to be where women post all the "scaliwags" of the dating world!

Re: online dating sites - 10/23/06 07:44 PM

The woman who started that site for cheating creeps was on Dr. Phil one night with an attorney who was disded by some woman on the site, and he was boo-hooing all over the place because she said he was gay and gave her herpes. He is now suing the owner of the site because it is not suppose to be true, but she isn't liable because she isn't the one who said it. It was very interesting to hear the argument.

Re: online dating sites - 10/28/06 09:33 PM

I have no idea but the site is still up and running...In fact I think even more women are posting about their bad experiences with a man. This guy was so errogant and it was obvious his tail feathers were ruffled, big time...too funny!