Forty abandoned kittens!

Posted by: ladybug

Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/18/05 01:39 PM

In our news today a woman was sentenced to a night in the park by a judge here in Ohio.

The reason? She abandoned 40 kittens that she said someone "dropped on her doorstep." She left the kittens in two parks. When they were found nine of them were dead or had to be euthanized.

She claims that the local animal shelter refused to take them. The director of the humane society denied that her agency refused to help this woman.

The woman agreed to spend a night in the woods because she cannot afford to spend 90 days in jail. She will be under the watchful eye of a park ranger.

She said, "it's inhumane for the judge to send me out in the cold with nothing but the clothes on my back."

Ladies, please consider that when I work up yesterday my outdoor thermometer read 26 degrees and today it started out a 24 degrees. Is it cold here now, heck yes!

What do you think of this story? Makes your blood boil doesn't it for those poor kittens.

While I was reading the story, Benny jumped up on the table and put his paw in my hand then nuzzled my hand and licked it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/18/05 08:00 PM

Inhumane my ___! She has no room to complain, and good Judge!!! I hope this case makes a new precedent for future offenders.

I almost want to bet she owns the kits parents of which she has neither neutered nor spayed.

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/18/05 11:02 PM

Don't people like this just make you sick?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/19/05 01:24 AM

Something very fishy here, no cat in the world has 40 babies at once. I wonder what their ages were. She sounds like a horder nthat changed her mind for some reason. The B-witch is lucky I wasn't the judge...
This is the kind of thing I have seen and worked with for years, and yes it does make us sick...
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/19/05 01:58 AM

Ladybug, I'm not sure where you live, but where I am, the humane society won't accept cats either. I've tried and they won't even discusss it.

smile
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/19/05 04:40 PM

We adopted our cat from our local humane society. As far as I know, they don't turn any animal away, although some of them end up in foster homes because they don't have space at the shelter.

I've heard of other shelters that do say "no" however. It makes me really sad.

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/19/05 07:07 PM

My husband agrees with all you ladies who say the 40 kitten thing sounds fishy. One of the little angels was only four weeks old.

The city is Painesville, Ohio which is nearly 60 miles or so to the east of me.

I was really angry to see the section of our paper asking people's opinions of the judge's decision. While most people agreed that she got off easy someone actually said they would've dumped the kittens too.

Oh, by the way. She's still got some jail time coming and a stiff monetary penalty to pay.

This judge did, indeed, want to send a message to people about animal cruelty.

Also, a couple of the people submitting their opinion suggested maybe childrens services need to check up on this woman's own children. Surely a person who would do this to helpless kittens can't be much of a mother herself.
Posted by: MossPatch

Re: Forty abandoned kittens! - 11/23/05 05:22 PM

I applaud the judge. Seems he has a history of outside-the-box sentences. I wouldn't want the woman to suffer permanent frost-bite damage, because then she could sue. I'd just want her to spend the night being far too cold to sleep; and hungry, I'd want her to be very hungry, too.

My local pound has had to close down. And the next nearest animal shelter is open only a few hours a day. Space and money is so limited. Sad.