Genealogy

Posted by: Dotsie

Genealogy - 10/15/09 02:07 PM

I have a couple friends who are so into tracing their family routes. SOme have traveled, visted libraries, cemeteries, etc to track down past relatives. Anyone enjoy tracing your family roots?

My maiden name is McNamara and mom's was Collins. I'm Irish. One of my favorite times spent with my aunt, Dad's eldest sister, was when my son did a video interview with her about her family coming from Ireland. Now, if I only knew where that video was. She recalled much more than Dad can remember.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Genealogy - 10/16/09 05:02 AM

For the past wee while I have been researcing my "tree" and found others who are looking for siblings of my own gt gt people.Some settled in Baltimore..amongst other places.

who knows who you are mixing with Dotsie.

I am charmed... interested and finding out that many of my favourite places have indeed been the homes of previous generations.Its almost spooky.As I am drawn to the shore and certain towns regularly
Due to the nature of my county in Scotland..people stayed local..growing flax..weaving trading being on a sea route to Europe.so church records are intact and good.
We are self sufficant due to farming and fishing .
Coupled with my interest in history geneology puts meat on the bones in an intersting way...

The other side of my tree will be harder but that is good in my book.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Genealogy - 10/16/09 09:51 AM

I looked up my biological family tree but it didn't work out.
Most of my siblings were jealous because I was adopted and they weren't. Some discoveries work for the better, some do not.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Genealogy - 10/16/09 10:31 AM

I've done this. Our Staggers line was traced back to the 1700's...Ireland, of course. And our Stanford one was traced back to Chief Squire Stanford, an Indian chief.

There is a book on the Stanfords called Scot-Irish forever. I have an electronic copy of it. I loved doing this and even considered doing it for a living.

I found my grandfather whom my daddy had never known. Trouble is, I found him the year after he died. My dad had been searching for him for over 30 years. When I told daddy I had found him (his grave) and all about him, daddy was too far gone with Lewy-Body Dementia to know what I was talking about. How sad is that? Too little, too late.

Re: Genealogy - 10/17/09 09:12 AM

I know what you mean, jj. I found my birth mom after a 48 year
separation; but had only a brief time together before she died. But at least I know my own identity. I guess that's worth something. I love your "Staggers" name. So cool.
Woops, I guess that was the Stafford Wives, not Stanford.
Just kiddin'; don't take anything I say seriously. I love your
sense of humor. I've gotta laugh at life, otherwise I'd cry!
Nobody wants to see anyone cry! LOL...

Re: Genealogy - 10/18/09 09:33 AM

Hey ya never know. If you don't know your relatives, you might
be missing out on being related to a millionaire. LOL...

Re: Genealogy - 10/18/09 10:32 AM

JJ tell me about the Irish/Scots.Got some too.
any other names ..?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Genealogy - 10/19/09 10:18 PM

Millionaire my Aunt Fanny... With my luck my relatives were paupers and would be looking for a place to live or a hand out.

My EX is a Scott in nationality and name. Yikes!!!

Re: Genealogy - 10/20/09 09:21 AM

MA, I wasn't ignoring your question, just been busy. Sorry bout that. Some of the names are:

Stanford
Staggers
Gates
Cummings
Hellums
King
Hamilton
Brown
Corder
Allman
Farrar
Anderson
Withers
Bennett
Malloy
Perry
Morton
Cooper
Earnest
Turner
Callahan
Blair
Babb
Harrell
Gibbs
Mitchell
Hill
Hargett
Carruth
Pynn
Anderson
Tharp
Woodson
Rose
Thornberry
Stephens
Jacobs
Huges
Davis
Feenister
Greer
Wilcox
Holly
Thompson
Reid
Finley
Humbard
Box
Kemper
Smith
Snow
Milley
Cornell
Lauderdale
McGill
Sanders
Stembridge
Kennedy
Miller
Moseley
Cunningham
Spencer
White
Wylie
Morehead
Waller
Robertson
Farned
Polk
Terrell

Just to name a few. This isn't even half of them...just off of the first 27 pages.

Re: Genealogy - 10/20/09 10:43 AM

Tell.. tell.. tell me...Mitchells..who and where.
others also but thats all for today.

That name comes down from both Grandparents..one Scots the other Irish...and goes back to 1650's locally

Re: Genealogy - 10/20/09 11:00 AM

19. ELIJAH3 STANFORD (GEORGE2, WILLIAM1) was born 3-17-1801 in Chester Co., SC, and died 7-20-1872 in Pontotoc Co., MS. He married (1) MARY BABB. She was born Abt. 1801 in Chester Co., SC, and died Aft. 6-12-1838. He married (2) SUSANNAH R. MITCHELL ALLMAN Abt. 1839. She was born 5-11-1803 in Virginia, and died 10-3-1877 in Ripley, Tippah Co., MS.

Elijah is buried at a now abandoned cemetery on Dr. Abernathy's property in corner of Pontotoc Co., MS near Chickasaw Co., MS. county line and Susannah is buried at Ripley City Cem., Ripley, Tippah Co., MS

Children of ELIJAH STANFORD and SUSANNAH R. MITCHELL ALLMAN are:
x. SOPHRONIA4 STANFORD, b. 1840, Alabama.
xi. MARY EMELINE STANFORD, b. 1841, Alabama; m. ?? PAYNE.
88. xii. FRANCIS ASBERRY STANFORD, b. 1843, Alabama; d. Aft. 1880, Okolona, Chickasaw Co., MS.
89. xiii. CHARLES MACK STANFORD, b. 1844, Mississippi; d. Unknown.
90. xiv. HENRY CLINTON STANFORD, b. 1847, Mississippi; d. Pontotoc Co., MS.

22. WILLIAM B.3 ALLMAN (NANCY JANE2 STANFORD, WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1797 in South Carolina ??, and died 1838 in Beaverton, Marion Co., AL. He married SUSANNAH R. MITCHELL 12-8-1817 in Lebanon, Wilson Co., TN. She was born 5-11-1803 in Virginia, and died 10-3-1877 in Ripley, Tippah Co., MS. William is buried at Old Bethel Church Cem., Beaverton, Marion Co., AL, and Susannah is buried at City Cem., Ripley, Tippah Co., MS

Children of WILLIAM ALLMAN and SUSANNAH MITCHELL are:
i. SON4 ALLMAN, b. 1821, Tennessee.
ii. WILLIAM C. MITCHELL ALLMAN, b. 1822, Tennessee; d. Aft. 1850, Tennessee.
(William M. Allman: Sheriff of Marion Co., AL in 1840s/1850s)
iii. DAUGHTER ALLMAN, b. 1824, Tennessee.
iv. SON ALLMAN, b. 1825, Tennessee.
v. SON ALLMAN, b. 1827, Tennessee.
vi. SON ALLMAN, b. 1830, Tennessee.
vii. JAMES A. ALLMAN, b. 1832, Tennessee.
viii. ANDREW ALLMAN, b. 1834, Tennessee; d. 1860, Pikeville, Marion Co., AL.
Andrew was a Deputy Sheriff in Pikeville, Marion Co., AL. Killed by an assassin's bullet (same bullet killed his brother, John Mitchell Allman); both were sitting on their horses at the time.
92. ix. JOHN MITCHELL ALLMAN, b. 1836, Alabama; d. 1860, Alabama.

92. JOHN MITCHELL4 ALLMAN (WILLIAM B.3, NANCY JANE2 STANFORD, WILLIAM1) was born 1836 in Alabama, and died 1860 in Alabama. He married ROSE A. TERRELL Bef. 1858. She was born 9-28-1841, and died 3-1905 in Pikeville, Marion Co., AL (d/o John Dabney Terrell, Jr. & Elizabeth ??). Note: John was killed by the same assassin's bullet that killed his brother, Andrew. Rose is buried at Terrell Cem., Pikeville, Marion Co., AL

Children of JOHN ALLMAN and ROSE TERRELL are:
i. CLAUD VIVIAN5 ALLMAN, b. 1858, 1858; d. 9-9-1859, Marion Co., AL.
194. ii. JOHN MITCHELL ALLMAN II, b. 12-28-1859; d. 2-26-1939, Pikeville, Marion Co., AL.
195. iii. BETTY ALLMAN, b. Unknown; d. 7-31-1946, Pikeville, Marion Co., AL.

Notice that S. Mitchell married two different men at the same time? I DON'T THINK SOOOOO...Anyway, these accounts were given by family members out of bibles, census, etc.

And as I said, this is just the first chapter. I would be happy to send you the electronic book, chapter by chapter, if you'd like to have it???

Re: Genealogy - 10/20/09 11:26 AM

Where did the Mitchells sail from...
I love it.

Re: Genealogy - 10/20/09 11:50 AM

I don't know....Here is the first record in the book:

1. WILLIAM1 STANFORD was born Abt. 1729 in Ireland, and died in Chester Co., SC (?). He married UNKNOWN Bef. 1751 in Ireland or Virginia. She was born in Ireland??, and died in Chester Co., SC (?).

Re: Genealogy - 10/22/09 11:43 AM

Geese, JJ. You're related to half the world.

Chatty,
I love it when you refer 2, "My Aunt Fannie..."; that cracks me up! Pun intended!

Re: Genealogy - 10/22/09 05:38 PM

JJ The "Unknown" In Ireland at one time Mothers names were left blank on birth certificates.Such a patriatical society.this makes research harder when popular names arise.Spelling too makes for difficulties.
I was so sad to see in a Gt Gt Grandfather death certificate that his Mothers name was not noted...Bibles help very much.
In this digital age every thing is so readable.But the old certificates I view at our family research centre are so wonderful.Christenings here from way back even have two witness so our records are easier than those in Ireland.Here a patern on naming also existed so I have learned to see the birth order for family who were usually named after Grandparents.
You would have enjoyed being a researcher JJ..

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 09:11 AM

JJ,
I found some Gibbs and Davis in my background. May be we're related? Now wouldn't that be a trip!

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 09:30 AM

Jabber,
I've found we are all kin. I mean, we're all God's chillin', you know?

If at any time, MA, you would like to have me send you the entire electronic book, just let me know. I would be happy to do so...a chapter at a time.

Yes, I would love to do research. I love finding that needle in a haystack. I love jigsaw puzzles, and brain teasers. I had a wonderful time going all over Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee doing our genealogy while looking for my grandfather. I would love to be trained properly in this occupation.

Tell you something else...don't think me a nutcase, but I would love to specialize in cemeteries. They've always fascinated me. The stones, the names, the engravings. I would love to search them for relatives for me or for others. How strange is that?!!! HA!

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 09:44 AM

Know what you mean! I did hear or read somewhere, some time
that we actually are all related, way back when. You and me probably go back to the Ingins!!! LOL...

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 10:50 AM

Nutcase ? Certainly not...And cemeteries show dates and families.I have photos taken this week,and the statement from the bible carved there let me see how similar we are.
We must be similar JJ cemetaries are places of interest I was taken to lay flowers as a child and continue to show I care.

Its the needle and haystack I like.I am bamboozled by one man..so I asked a distant cousin for more info..so we are like two scouts...seeking.
I also love the names..these forefathers and mothers..cousins.also spending time researching social and living /working conditions of whatever era.
I have had one or two amazing coincidences which have made me ponder.I am learning all I can and attending as many events and training..so much to learn.

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 11:37 AM

I so wished we lived closer. Couldn't we have fun? I also wish I had known you when I visited Edinburgh. Oh boy....

I love names as well and find them fascinating. Do you like the old timey names? They speak to me. And I find it downright amazing we're even able to find many a relative as some of them changed their names over the years, or some even changed them at Ellis Island. I've heard stories of people who came to this country and when asked their names, they hid the real ones for one or more reasons, and made up last names....they would copy them from something that caught their eye when asked...for instance, if someone said, "Last name?" They would look around and if they saw a cardboard box, they would say, BOX, when in fact they're last name might have been Oxenhall or something.

Isn't it all amazing?

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 11:48 AM

I thought you might get a kick out of this one.

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 12:23 PM

Penelope from way back..and one old Scottish female name Grizel..often these ladies were called Grace.
Thinking up a caligraphy project to use all the women from my tribe/clan.
Come on JJ tell me your Greats names...

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 12:54 PM

I love the name Grace...always have. And Ruth. Here are a few of my favs in addition to those...

Viola
Milicent
John (I love how strong this sounds)
Paul
Abagail
Megan

just to name a few.

Re: Genealogy - 10/23/09 03:21 PM

We have many Johns..FIL was one.Its abreviated to Ian in Scotland

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 01:08 AM

I didn't realize that. How interesting...and it makes perfect sense now that you've told me.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 02:30 AM

MA, in Wales, the Welsh counterpart for John is Ieuan(pronounced as Yay-an). There is also Ioan (Yo-an) and Iwan (I-wan). Together with Scotland's Ian, the resemblance is fascinating.

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 06:21 AM

Some use Iain..this may be to distinguse between cousins when a Grandfathers name is used by more than one offpring..James here can become Hamish.
In my part of Scotland the female is often mention by her maiden name although married..incomers wonder about this..its as if we retain our birth name.Even Scots from another area dont understand at first.Think the custom of naming after Grandparents meant that this helped show which person was being spoken about.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 08:54 AM

Quote:
Think the custom of naming after Grandparents meant that this helped show which person was being spoken about.

This brought a huge smile, MA. My grandchildren bear the names of their Welsh ancestors. My granddaughter is 7th generation Margaret Mary and her brothers are 7th generation Mathews (spelt with one "T"). To distinguish the younger brother (who's actually a Mathew James and there is also a long line with a similar second name) from the cousins and her older brother, my granddaughter calls him "My own", which sounds like "Owen" because of her Welsh accent. Our Margaret Mary is called Meg or Megan at home, to distinguish her from the other Margaret Marys in the family. Although her Dad calls her "Roberts".

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 09:15 AM

JJ,
I've seen that [I told you I was sick] wordage on tombstones
around these parts. When I was a kid, my adoptive mom and grandma often stopped at area cemeteries to read tombstone inscriptions. Word-association stirs up some weird memories.

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 12:04 PM

Lola
This use of naming has helped me so much..seeing the generations re use names..sussing out birth order.
Some times if a baby died the name was used again so as to allow the name to continue.
The other way same name cousins were differentiated here was to talk about a child saying their name adding on whose child the were.
Long winded isnt it.
Wales seeems similar to here ..Celts!!!

Re: Genealogy - 10/24/09 12:06 PM

JJ
Spike Milligan the British writer and comic used the quotation for a book..I always thought it worth a smile..thanks.

Re: Genealogy - 10/25/09 09:23 AM

Anything that makes one smile, has value and worth!
Posted by: coffeemom

Re: Genealogy - 11/10/09 01:46 AM

My mom and grandmother compiled an extensive genealogy record. I wasn't interested until the last few years. My mother also had a cousin who did a lot of research at the courthouses. Between the three of them, there is a lot of priceless information. It is fascinating to find relatives who fought in the Revolutionary or Civil War, and facts like that.

Sometimes it's hard to get correct information when you start going several generations back. My mom and grandmother did all of this before computers. I've never really had luck finding ancestors with the online resources, either. It seems like with some of these sites, you have to pay a lot and still don't find what you want.

But I'm a complete beginner at genealogy, too. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

Re: Genealogy - 11/10/09 04:11 AM

You also mention feeling nostalgic in another post.I am in the midst of research at present and feel empowered when I see the lives of those who came before.
Speak to older family members look at photos see if dates are written on the back and start from yourself..in UK there are heritage groups who assist..The LDS have good resources..but Scotlands People have censcus and births deaths and marriage info.so wherever you are will have facts.also military records..
there is a theory that says how happy we are now reflects how we see the past..main thing is to work on the here and now making every day special for you.
My family tree has enriched at times made me sad also when I see lives all too short for some long gone child..but the sheer pride in seeing a pathway back to 1660s is so uplifting.
Posted by: coffeemom

Re: Genealogy - 11/10/09 05:42 PM

Mountain Ash,

Thank you for the advice. It sort of makes you feel close to the ancestors that you never even knew. You get inspiration from their lives - how they came through some of the hardships and what kind of people they were. I love looking at the really old pictures we have.

Thankfully, my 93 year old mother is still alive and has been telling me a lot about the pictures, and I have been writing it down.
Posted by: Catwoman22

Re: Genealogy - 11/24/09 07:00 PM

Whats a good site to look on for that? I would like to find out more!

Re: Genealogy - 11/25/09 06:00 AM

I think speaking to someone locally who has completed a family tree will advise you best.
Depends where your people came from.
I use Scotlands People...church records and Ancestry which allows you to find others researching the same people...mixed thoughts about Ancestry

Others tell me Genes reunited has been good for them.

Re: Genealogy - 11/25/09 08:04 AM

coffeemom, have you considered video taping your mom, sorta like an interview? I think it would be neat to do that.
Posted by: Momof4js

Re: Genealogy - 11/30/09 02:55 AM

I traced my mom's roots on her mother's side. It was an amazing project that helped me better understand my mother and the events that had impacted her life. She really did not talk much about her life - it made her so sad. When she died I decided to create a book about her heritage. It was a project for a class I took in college - but it became a healing project that gave tribute to her life. Anyway, the outcome was amazing and also healing for me. I found relatives I never knew I had. One lives in Salt Lake City and is LDS. She had researched this side of the family tree and sent me documentation stating our tree goes back to the 1700. The book sits on my coffee table. I hope to do the same for my deceased father as tribute to his legacy.

Re: Genealogy - 11/30/09 04:19 AM

The better understanding I can understand.And healing yes I agree.
I saw how my Mother had lost her baby sister when she was under five.Imagine to see ahd learn about a sister then have the absence.Have a grieving Mother and Father.Everything that surrounds a person has an impact.The times people lived in.

I also see how industrial landscape causes difference..Town and country.I have long country farming background..my husband has industry.His forbearers from Ireland and potato famine..His Father was political perhaps due to higher ability to access to literacy..and working conditions needing improved.My folks tended land..Some emigrated..The wider social conditions for differing generations are a big project for me..which King or Queen..what religous tumoil was going on in Scotland at for one generation .Murder of an Archbishop locally for example.Most interesting is the well documated witch hunts in one town way back..I have gained in all ways by tracing my roots.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Genealogy - 12/03/09 07:59 PM

I'm not sure if I told any of you this but I went to National Geographic website and submitted a DNA sample and they come back with "my very beginning" results. In other words, where my ancestors began and also, where they traveled to. Seems my family began in West Africa. My husband says it explains a lot!

It's kind of expensive ($100) but I wanted to give it to my son who has taken over the family tree. I got tired of researching.

Just a bit of info for those of you who are really into your history.

Re: Genealogy - 12/04/09 05:19 AM

This is the wildest thing I've ever heard of. Amazing. Now anyone want to explain how they do that?

Re: Genealogy - 12/04/09 06:39 AM

It is reported that we ALL stem from seven tribes..The seven daughters of Eve..
I have the dna test as part of my subscription but have to select which dna test to take..that from maternal or parental line..My son would be the one to be tested if we select one option.
he will show more..
Being an Island UK has many factors..those who landed from Scandinavia..Norse..Near here is the Royal residence from James and Mary queen of Scots who was French. way back I have Potters who were part of that set up..and their name may be Portieer..the maker of vessels..from metal for drinking.
some geneology site connect those with similar dna..not the one I use.

Re: Genealogy - 12/04/09 06:41 AM

Looked this up which explains better than I could.

The Seven Daughters of Eve (2001, ISBN 0-393-02018-5) is a book by Bryan Sykes that presents the theory of Human mitochondrial genetics to a general audience. Sykes explains the principles of genetics and human evolution, the particularities of mitochondrial genetics, and analyses of ancient DNA to genetically link modern humans to prehistoric ancestors.

Following the developments of mitochondrial genetics, Sykes traces back human migrations, discusses the "out of Africa theory" and refutes Heyerdahl's theory of the Peruvian origin of the Polynesians, which opposed the theory of their origin in Indonesia. He also describes the use of mitochondrial DNA in identifying the remains of Czar Nicholas II, and in assessing the genetic makeup of modern Europe.

Re: Genealogy - 12/04/09 06:48 AM

Imagine what our forfathers would say if the they knew what science offers us living today.

Re: Genealogy - 12/04/09 05:11 PM

Which country Anne?

I googled quite a bit to no avail prior to seriously finding how how to find the places to look.

Re: Genealogy - 12/05/09 02:26 PM

It is surprising which records may have survived Ann.in East Germany /Poland..church records for example.People have a habit of protecting baptism records.School records can give addresses and siblings.Bank records..backs of photographs..certificates from colleges..
as long as you have a birth date parents names and patience. it also helps if middle names and siblings names are known.as does employment.
eg I have read my Grandfathers war record..his place of service..even his medical details in the convalescent hospital..poor dear man.

Re: Genealogy - 12/07/09 10:02 AM

Anne,
Love your signature and ending statement! Ain't it the truth!

Re: Genealogy - 12/08/09 03:54 PM

Want to share this...As I read old Parish records more than you would be bothered to read here.
but this weeks finding.
Ness...

three male children all born on the same day
Triplets but had the word been invented then.
This is from Parish records..

1753 James DEWAR and Rachel SEATH in the Coaltown of Balfour had three children
born at one birth
February 19th and baptised the same day
1st
called Henry
2nd
Andrew
3rd
William
Witnesses George LILLIE and John CHALMERS
Also on this micro film a baby born in a house named the same as mine.(we name homes here.)
imagine that these walls held a family long before me and by coincidence I have also lived here.

three boys..I DO hope the all lived..that is next to find out...

Re: Genealogy - 12/08/09 06:30 PM

MA, let us know what you find out. How interesting! Triplets no less! I wonder if those triplets lived, and if they went on to have triplets in their lineage. Would be interesting to know, don't you think?

Re: Genealogy - 12/09/09 04:52 AM

You and I seem to gel about geneology JJ. I also want to know about these three children.Wont be hard..the records will show other life events.
Bet there was talk in the village that week..
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 08:22 AM

I'm working on building a genealogy blog for my husbands family. Do any of you here have a genealogy blog? I'd like to see how you did it?

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 08:32 AM

A relation of mine has a blog on " My Heritage.."its by invitation only and has birthdays etc..its not mine to share but he build it and merged even the distant people..
I use Ancestry.co.uk and there email several people connected with different branches of my tree.
Its informal and due to me being here in Scotland I can add to their information..
I also have a file with a custom made grid and use this too.This printed off will be very attractive as another way to display my tree.
My intention is to have a bound copy for both my family..this is a work in progress..the interest just goes deeper and wider.

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 10:21 AM

I don't have a blog, but I have done mom and dad's families, with the help of relatives. What a fun and in-depth thing to do. Be ready to be overwhelmed!

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 11:33 AM

JJ
did you find any Scottish/Irish links on your family tree.If so from where...
Posted by: orchid

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Sandpiper
I'm working on building a genealogy blog for my husbands family. Do any of you here have a genealogy blog? I'd like to see how you did it?

Interesting, Sandpiper. Hope you enjoy doing this for family.

For myself it would be one unusual blog and I couldn't go backwards past my parents. There just wasn't money in my family in China for a camera/pics. I mean geez, the country was at war with the Japanese and Communists were taking over.

The idea of doing backwards research through our matrilineal and patrilineal lines, is just too much given language barriers, etc. and lack of documentation in some instances.

However the blog of my parents' generation and going forward would be twisty and unsusual. The interracial marriages and mixing has occurred probably in 20% of the this part of the tree from my own family to cousins and younger generation. Certainly visually, there would be some arresting photos.

Side note: This weekend I look forward to spending time with my 25 yr. old niece who will fly into town for a business conference. I've known her since she was a baby but haven't really talked to her in the last 10 years due to geographic distance and her growing up into a career woman from university. She working in a male-dominant field/industry.

She is the lst interracial child in our family. There are 3 others with a 4th one due in March. This bunch is from 2 sisters.

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 05:29 PM

Thing is Orchid..starting a tree with your libranianship you could start a wonderful archive.
Myself..its the social/industrial and political..the morality and church that can be researched through the literature of a given time that draws my interest.then looking for comparative evidence.
also the naming patterns and names used in bygone times..love the womens names in particular.
ask your parents to share as much as they can..what I would give for five minutes question time with each generation that I have sourced.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Genealogy - 01/14/10 11:34 PM

Dunno Mountain Ash. Collecting stories would be complex. Design of blog wouldn't be difficult.

It's a thought..later maybe after I blog on Olympics, cycling, etc. Alot later.

Sandpiper: I think for a geneaology blog, it's important to steer away from a literal physical family tree. Think instead of common categories or metadata tags that link family member groups together when one does a search. If you use Wordpress blogware, the categories field allows you to create a parent-child classification system for any area of human knowledge/subject, include your family geneaology. grin

I didn't use the parent-child (or main heading-sub-heading) classification for our company blog. It's harder to teach other folks to stick to even a simple standard of metadata tagging/classification (vs.library-trained folks and hard-core researchers).