My niece

Posted by: Bluebird

My niece - 04/14/06 06:31 PM

I have a prayer request for my 4 year old niece, Rachel. She was extremely ill last week (I only found out yesterday)and was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. My brother, his wife and 6 kids, live in a very rural town and she had to be taken by helicopter to a big city hospital, as she was critical. She's home now and they are trying to stabilize her. I want us to pray for a complete healing for this sweet little girl.
Also a big concern is money. My brother has not been working much and they have no insurance. He refuses gov't. assistance and the helicoptor bill is $ 14K and the hospital bill is over $ 7K.
The insulin and testing supplies are pretty expensive, too. They are a very simple, hardworking family. They homeschool and home church and have a food co-op.
I'm going to try to sell some things for him on ebay and as soon as my building lot sells, I should be able to send him some $. Hopefully, their community will pitch in, too. They've been living there for almost 2 years.
Thanks, my faithful prayer warriors!!!

[ April 14, 2006, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]
Posted by: chickadee

Re: My niece - 04/15/06 05:45 AM

Jackie, I just saw this. Be assured that I will hold Rachel and her family in my prayers.
chick
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: My niece - 04/17/06 05:35 AM

Blue, this really touches my heart because my hubby is a Type I and daughter a Type II. I'm forever listening to blood sugar numbers. Please let them know I am willing to be their email pal throughout this ordeal of adjustment.

I totally understand the disease and so does my husband. I'm sure he'd help them too. He's an eye doctor and has many patients who are also diabetics so he really knows his stuff.

We are here for them via email if they choose. I will also hold them in prayer. Do they have soemone they are working with to educate them and get her under control. It's a tricky disease in the beginning, but one that you can absolutely live a healthy, normal lifestlye with once you understand and get it under control.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: My niece - 04/17/06 05:39 PM

Dear Bluebird: I'm praying for Rachel as I write. It is sad to see such a young life facing uncertainty and troubles! But children are very important to the Lord. I know he will be her doctor, her comforter, her strengthener.

I also pray for all the family, as illness takes a toll on each one involved. I pray they find help in the community, church and one another!

Dotsie, that's sp sweet of you to be their online pal! I'm sure it will be a blessing to them all!

Re: My niece - 04/17/06 06:49 PM

Thanks, ladies!! I spoke to my SIL yesterday and they are getting my niece stabilized. My brother and his wife are very much into organic foods, herbs, essential oils and nutirition in general.
Their neighbors have been coming through for them and people are helping with money. They are totally trusting God, which is what I knew they'd do, once the intitial shock wore off. God will be glorified through this sweet child and her whole family.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: My niece - 04/18/06 07:06 AM

Bluebird,
My sister's only son was diagnosed with acute juvenile diabetes at the age of 2. He was also diagnosed with Ciliac Disease (I'm probably misspelling this) at 12 months old. My sister had to learn a special diet for the Ciliac and then the diabetes. She has been thru it, let me tell you! He is 20 years old now and is ALL boy! Please let them know that things will get better. I can ask my sister if she knows of any programs to get the much needed supplies if you think you're brother would accept them? Sis always had insurance so this wasn't a problem for her, but she is so knowledgable in this area that maybe she could help. Just let me know. I will be praying for your brother and his family, especially sweet Rachel!

JJ

Re: My niece - 04/17/06 08:11 PM

You all are the BEST!! I keep telling everyone that I have the most awesome prayer warriors. I knew a woman years ago, whose mom had a prayer chain that was called The God Squad - think I'll call y'all God Squad II.
(((HUGS)))

Re: My niece - 04/18/06 05:42 AM

The God Squad? Perfect boomer name! I love it.

Did you mention the email offer? We're here if they need us.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: My niece - 04/19/06 01:24 AM

God Squad II - MAKING OFFERS YOU CAN'T REFUSE!

JJ
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: My niece - 04/19/06 03:24 AM

Bluebird besides the PM I sent you remember this info and pass it along. St. Judes Childrens Hospoital turns NO child away and theri treatments are free as well as the medications needed for as long as they are needed. Now if they want to take her there just contact Miracle Flights For Kids at (702)261-0495 and speak to Mr. or Mrs. McGee. They will arrange to fly her and her parents there at no charge and home again. They will fly her and the parents as many times as need be all for FREE....I raised funds for them and have seen the wonderful work they do for these kids and their parents....I have the address if you want it for any reason.

Re: My niece - 04/19/06 08:09 PM

I appreciate all the info from everyone!! I will pass it all on to my brother through email.

Huge ((HUGS)) to all of you for taking the time to not only pray, but to gather resources. You all show what an ACTIVE faith you have, which is exactly what the Bible calls us to.

Re: My niece - 04/26/06 05:11 PM

[Razz] Remembering little Rachel in my prayers.

[Smile] JJ, good to know your nephew is doing good after all. It must be scary for parents to learn of their child's Dx.

I am glad I belong to this BWS family. How sweet to support each other in prayer! It's the best gift we can offer anyone!

Re: My niece - 04/27/06 01:34 AM

Blue, how about an update? I'd love to hear how she's doing.

Song, might I mention that I am glad you belong to our BWS family. Your thoughts, prayers and concerns are always appreciated.

Re: My niece - 05/03/06 08:01 PM

Bluebird, still praying for Rachel.

Re: My niece - 05/03/06 09:06 PM

Song thank you for your steadfastness! Dotsie, thanks for reminding me to update!
I spoke to my SIL on sunday and as of that day, Rachel didn't need any insulin for 9 days straight! They believe her diabetes came from too much yeast in her diet, which can cause fungal problems, which my brother and SIL are both prone to.
Dotsie, if you are interested, there are videos out there about this, one by Doug Kaufman, one by Len Horowitz. It's working for Rachel, maybe it would work for your husband and daughter.
Posted by: NewLeaf

Re: My niece - 05/03/06 10:29 PM

Songbird, praying for Rachel and assuring you that no hospital can turn her away. I've had to take Aaliyah to the emergency room before Kids Kare kicked in and they can't make you pay if you don't have it. There is no such thing as debtor's prison in this country.....thank goodness!!

I don't feel an obligation to pay for medical treatment when prices are sky high anyway.

Re: My niece - 05/03/06 11:08 PM

Well, I have been absent for too long! Didn't know you finally changed your name - I love NewLeaf!! Perfect.
((HUGS))

Re: My niece - 06/30/06 03:10 AM

Brought this back up because my niece, Rachel Rose, turned 5 today and hasn't had any insulin for over 2 months!!
One hospital dropped all charges (over $ 8000.), a doctor dropped his $ 900. bill and another bill was cut in half ( from $ 9000.) People in their town have given them money, so I believe they only have about $ 2,000. to pay. My brother and his wife are journaling everything, to keep track of what makes her sugar rise, and also to help others who may want their knowledge.
I knew this would all work out and God would be glorified!
Thanks again, God Squad II!!!

Re: My niece - 07/07/06 02:01 AM

Wonderful news, Bluebird! May God continue showering this precious family with his blessings!! Thanks for the update!!

Re: My niece - 07/07/06 02:25 PM

Blue, this is a miracle. Don't you think? I've never heard of such a thing! I was at the Diabetes clinic yesterday with all the little kids marching in with their insulin pumps, or backpacks with their meters and medicine. I am so grateful your niece is no longer included in that group. Praise God!