¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ cup of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1¼ cups fresh strawberries, chopped (do not use frozen)
½ cup walnuts, chopped

In a small bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the sugar and beat for 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and beat for another minute. Mix in the sour cream or yogurt and vanilla.

Stir in the dry ingredients…flour, baking powder, salt, soda, and cinnamon.
Stir only until all dry ingredients are moistened and combined. Stir in strawberries and walnuts. Spoon into a well greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let stand on cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/01/10 10:15 PM

Boy does this sound tasty Cookie...
And right now here in town the strawberries are huge, very sweet naturally and not too expensive. This would be good with a strawberry yogurt mixed with real whipping cream and drizzled over top of the bread.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/06/10 02:51 AM

Thanks for sharing, Cookie!

Years ago my kid's (who are now 29 and 32) daycare provider gave me some delicious Strawberry Bread, but I never managed to worm the recipe out of her... So the small loaf remains a fond memory...

Thanks for sharing your recipe, as I will be trying it soon -- maybe even sending the kids each a loaf...

I've got great recipes for banana walnut bread and pumpkin bread, and I suspect this recipe will become just as cherished...

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/08/10 12:43 AM

Anne, I collect 'banana bread' recipes, would you share yours?
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/08/10 01:53 AM

I'm planning to make this Friday or Saturday (whenever we get out to pick up the strawberries). Hubby will be thrilled, he's an avid strawberry eater.

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 01:15 AM

I finally made this bread today...it's amazing! My husband REALLY enjoyed it, so much that I'll probably have to make a few more next week, some for us and some to give away to neighbours. I'm thinking of trying to add some chocolate chips to the batter and see how that tastes...strawberry and chocolate???!!!

Oh, I had to change one thing...didn't have plain yogurt, so used some strawberry yogurt we did have...yummmm! Very nice recipe!
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 12:21 PM

Glad you liked it Eagle. I make a strawberry butter that I like on this bread also. Chocolate chips sound good too! Chocolate is good with anything in my book! laugh You can use white chips too....strawberries and cream.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 07:37 PM

I have a very similar strawberry bread recipe. I made it for Easter, but used mixed frozen berries instead of frozen strawberries and it was a hit. So now you have a recipe for berry bread too.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 08:41 PM

Hey question....can one use self-rising flour instead of the flour/baking powder/soda/salt? And if so, how much? Same amount just don't add the other "stuff?"

I want to make this reallll soon...I'm just afraid I'll eat the whole thing.

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 10:03 PM

It's very tempting to eat the whole thing. Hubby and I are both fighting the urge to nibble at it throughout the day.

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 10:15 PM

Another thing I'm curious about is that in the first line of the recipe, you say "beat the butter and sugar until creamy..."

Then in the next sentence...it says add the sugar and beat for 1 minute.

Huh? It's probably just me being blonde....

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/14/10 11:11 PM

Well, I noticed that too JJ. And went online to find other recipes to see if there might be something missing in the recipe, but didn't see what it might be. So just double-creamed the sugar and butter and carried on. It was tough on the upper arm, but well worth it. smile
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Strawberry Bread - 04/15/10 02:18 PM

When using self rising flour in a recipe, use the same amount of self rising flour as you would all-purpose flour. However, you usually omit the baking powder and salt when using self rising flour. Different brands of self rising flour usually mention on the bag what to omit in a recipe when using their product. Some also omit the baking soda and some don't. I don't like using self rising flour that much because the baking power added to the flour could have lost some of its strength due to shelf life. I think I mentioned before on how to tell if your baking powder is still good.....To test the strength of baking powder put a ¼ teaspoon in the palm of your hand and drizzle some warm water over it. It should foam and bubble immediately. The longer it takes to react to the water, the older and less powerful it is.

Sorry about the error in the recipe. I meant to say.......Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar to the butter and beat for 1 minute until creamy and light. You all are smart cooking gals though.....you figured it out! smile
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Strawberry Bread - 05/06/10 09:47 PM

Hi Chatty,

I'd be happy to share my banana walnut bread recipe. Sounds like you and I have a habit in common... I told Jaw Jaw the other day that I collect corn bread recipes.

Shared with her that some time ago, I did a test where I made them all -- not all at once, but within a couple of weeks -- then crowned my winner. And that one is the cornbread I make 95% of the time.

Now and then I have to bring out one of the others, just because I get bored if I make the same thing all the time...

Now, without further ado - or chat - here's my banana walnut bread recipe:

Anne’s Favorite Banana Walnut Bread

Ingredients
• 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) butter
• 1 ½ cups brown sugar
• 1 ½ cups white sugar (may substitute Splenda)
• 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large ripe bananas) mashed
• 4 eggs, slightly beaten
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 4 cups flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 ½ teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
• 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (can substitute buttermilk)
• 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour two 9” x 5” loaf pans. (I use spray-on shortening)
Cream the butter and sugar thoroughly. Add the bananas, eggs and vanilla; beat well. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir flour mixture into the banana mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Add walnuts and mix well. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
Bake at 325°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Re: Strawberry Bread - 05/07/10 04:56 PM

Now Anne, would you graciously share your corn bread recipe with us?

Re: Strawberry Bread - 05/07/10 10:02 PM

I have everything needed for this one so I will be in my kitchen tonight whipping up Anne's delicious sounding Banana Bread. Then settling down with a slice,(or two or?) and a tall glass of ice cold milk...Thanks so much Anne, for sharing...!