Give wings to your dreams

Posted by: Dotsie

Give wings to your dreams - 06/26/07 03:29 PM

I was recently reminded of some powerful words used by Nelson Mendela in his 1994 inaugural speech while reading the book Bags to Riches, by Linda Hollander:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant ot shine, as children do.
We are born to make manifest the glory of Fod that is within us.
It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Onward dear friends!
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 06/26/07 09:02 PM

Dotsie,
Thank you for posting this. Very wise. Got it on my bullitin board now.

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 06/27/07 01:30 PM

Oh good. I know you love quotes and inspirational messages. Happy to add to your collection.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 06/27/07 02:27 PM

I posted this on my bulletin board too, right beside Popea's beautiful poem that she sent me awhile back. Both are so inspiring, I love to read them over and over again.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 06/27/07 02:29 PM

I give parts of this in a speech that I sometimes offer. The funny thing is that its so true. We are so afraid of succeeding sometimes that we sabatoge our own efforts. In other words, we get in the way of ourselves.

I love this...
Posted by: Madalyn

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 06/27/07 02:32 PM

Dotsie~~I love the part "we are all meant to shine as children do" Sometimes in this difficult world we forget who we are. We lose sight of our importance. I've never had self-esteem so that part made me really think. "to shine like a child"

Blessings~~Madalyn

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 06/28/07 11:36 PM

Madalyn, my confidence and self-esteem come from the Lord. This morning I did a live segment for an ABC internet show on the elderly. I took a little study with me that is loaded with Bible quotes that are encouraging and read through them before entering the building.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 07/15/07 03:28 PM

Dotsie: I believe we are indeed, meant to shine, as children of God. My self esteem comes from knowing I am His child and He has a purpose for me. Who am I not to let Him fulfill it?

That is a beautiful quote. I wish each person knows how important we are to the eyes of the Lord. Thank for sharing it!

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 07/15/07 03:48 PM

Dotsie: I was checking this quote out, and seems it does not belong to N. Mandela, but to Marianne Williamson, an inspirational author. Seems this quote is from her book "A Retrun to Love". Check out her website at
http://marianne.com

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 07/15/07 03:59 PM

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/world_civ_reader/world_civ_reader_2/mandela.html

Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 08/02/07 02:55 AM

godness for years i belived it was Mandelas and had it refrances as his in offical capacities.

maybee he was first to recognise its butie, truth and strenth hence making it more worldwide knowen....it dosent matter who said it first or thought it first reallie as i think it was inpired from the hart when the hart was guided by god.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Give wings to your dreams - 08/02/07 03:27 AM

One of the ways we let our life shine is by sharing our stories. In sharing our stories, we give others permission to do the same, and thus release them from fear. Over the years the Mandela/Williamson paragraph has meant a lot