Hi Everyone....Dotsie suggested I might post my experience in finding a publisher for my first novel - due out in print this Spring. It's been a rocky road and maybe some of the things I experienced - the good, the bad, and the ugly - will help someone else making this journey to publication!

Two years ago I had completed writing my "blockbuster mystery novel" and began looking for a literary agent. I started looking on the internet and found lots of excellent resources available to me. Also visited my local library and read up on how to write a query, form a synopsis that would grab attention, and THEN I was off and running.

I sent about sixty letters or email queries out and waited for results. It was disappointing to say the least. All but three of the agents sent back a form letter saying "thanks but no thanks". One well known agent suggested I consider joining some writers groups and start "networking" with other mystery writers, and one said she'd LOVE to represent me but she'd need some money first (A BIG NO NO).....then, miracle of miracles, I found an agent who didn't want ANYTHING from me but my book. She was young, very gung-ho, seemed to be very savvy, and interested in me AND my book, and believed she could sell it to a "name" publisher.....SO I signed a contract with her. She was great - at first. But before long she had FIFTY clients, and after a year had made lots of promises which she hadn't kept. Well - needless to say, most of us began abandoning the sinking ship. I was one of the first to do so. She admitted in the end that she had gotten so wrapped up in the "friendship" aspects of the relationship with her clients that she just didn't have time (??) to do the work. She closed down her "business" shortly after.

I was so disappointed....but I began submitting some of my OTHER material (short stories, poetry, etc.) to several online magazines with success, maintained my friendships with a lot of writers I'd gotten to know, took a job as Fiction Editor for an ezine, then decided it was time to find a publisher on my own - sans agent!

I researched publishers online and at the library - found quite a few who "specialized" in mysteries - and sent out another batch of queries. I felt confident that I could represent myself without benefit of an agent.....if I was successful, I might consider that down the line but as a novice I wanted to try going it on my own.

I was fortunate enough to have TWO small publishers want my book. Based on the fact that Hilliard & Harris liked to publish mysteries, and particularly SERIES (which I intend to do), I signed with them. I'm thrilled. I'm excited. I'm a "survivor" of the bad literary agent pitfall and will see my book in print this Spring.

It can happen....you just have to believe in yourself and keep going when you get tripped up. Having faced adversity plenty of times in my 56 years made me strong enough to pursue my dream. And now it's coming true!