just new to this site

Posted by: Debra

just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:10 AM

Hi, my name is Debra, from Cleveland Ohio. Not sure how this works, but here goes! Is this the way to communicate or are there chat rooms/forums, where everybody can talk at once?
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:28 AM

I'm new also and was hoping this would be more like a chat room.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:31 AM

Ladies, there are no chat rooms at BWS. What we do here is post and reply. It seems to work beautifully for us. We hope you'll stick around and see how it works for you. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourselves?

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:37 AM

Hi Dotsie! So to see the next post you just hit the refresh button or is there another way to do it?
I live in southwest Colorado. I am 46, married, with 8 children, a son-in-law and a grandson. The oldest and youngest are girls, the rest (obiously!) are boys. We moved here from NY about 10 months ago. I've been a stay at home mom for over 24 years. My husband builds rustic furniture and he is opening a new shop here.
I'm a devout Catholic and I love to walk, read,
and communicate with others.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:38 AM

[Smile] Ok, sounds good to me---different! I'm 48 years young, have 3 kids, 2 boys, 1 girl. Ages in order, 22, 16, 12. I do volunteer work for Meals on Wheels. Will be married 26 years in Oct.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:40 AM

Nice to meet you, Debra! How did you hear about this site? I just read about it in the Denver Post.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:43 AM

My kids are 24, 20, 17, 15, 12, 8, 5 and 3. My grandson is almost 2.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:44 AM

Hi Jackie! 8 children!! That's great! I've been a stay at home mom for the past 22 years. Nice to meet you!

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:47 AM

I just read about it in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, our local newspaper, today....came down on the computer and signed up!

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:52 AM

I think it will be fun, "meeting" other women here and talking about whatever.
How do you add the smiley face to your message?

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:55 AM

I think so too. They're called Instant Graemlins, should see them right under the message posting thingie.... [Eek!]

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:56 AM

[Roll Eyes]
I was wondering what that meant! Thanks!

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:56 AM

[Cool]
Fun!

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 02:58 AM

yw! [Wink]

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:01 AM

I recently joined another discussion group on Yahoo. It's for highly sensitive people and the sub-group I joined is focused on spirituality.
Very interesting.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:07 AM

I belong to Yahoo as well. How did you join? Or where did you find it?

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:14 AM

I found it on a link on Elaine Aron's book website. Are you familiar with The Highly Sensitive Person?
Posted by: Danita

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:17 AM

Jackie,

What part of Colorado do you live in?

Welcome Debra and Jackie!

Danita

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:19 AM

Hi Danita! I live in soutwest Colorado, an hour east of Durango. It's a little town called Pagosa Springs. It is beautiful!
Where are you from? [Smile]

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:21 AM

silly me, I just noticed you're from Denver!

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:26 AM

I have a nephew in Littleton. He owns a few restaurants.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:31 AM

I have a nephew in Littleton. He owns a few restaurants.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 03:39 AM

Jackie and Debra Welcome to our group! Glad to have you join us. You'll find this is a wonderful place full of supportive women who will listen, give advice when asked for it, laugh with you, cry with you and pray with you.

Check out the many different boards you can post on. I am sure it will become a habit, albeit a very nice one.

I have been a stay at home mom most of my married life which will be for 35 years in December. I have two children, a boy (married) 31 years old and a daughter (single) 25 years old. We are about to become grandparents from the boy in March. Our first one.

You all sound like really nice, great women. Congratulations for having the conviction and courage to stay home and raise you children. I applaud all of us who do that. It is certainly a tough job.

Again, welcome.

Sandpiper

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 04:28 AM

Jackie,

I know your part of the world! Beautiful!

We lived in Estes park for 3 years, but just couldn't stand the commute out of the mountains.
Living in the suberbs of Denver is good - everything is a hop skip and a jump away!

What restaurants does your nephew own?

Danita

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 04:46 AM

He owns the Opus Grill and 5280 roadhouse. Don't know what the 3rd. one is called. He used to own 5 or 6! He's only 35.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 04:51 AM

Wow, a TRUE entrepenur! I'll have to find out where those restaurants are!

d.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:20 PM

Jackie--no, not familiar with The Highly Sensitive Person. I'll have to check out that book site you mentioned. Ty! [Smile]

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:22 PM

Thankyou for the welcome Danita! What's Denver like?

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:27 PM

Thankyou Sandpiper! Wow! Married 35 years! Rare these days! Congrats on your first grandchild! And thankyou for the kind words for stay at home moms.....not everyone feels that way. I love it, always have. did you make out ok with those nasty hurricanes? I have relatives in Miami, and Orlando. They had only minor damage. Nice to meet you! [Smile]

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:31 PM

Debra, the website is: hsperson.com
There is even an online "test" you can take to see if you are one.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:40 PM

Jackie, thankyou! I'll check it out. How are you today?

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:52 PM

I have a bit of a cold, but other than that, no complaints. How are you? Hoe's the weather there? Here it is dry and sunny, as it is most of the time. I love it!

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 08:54 PM

I like your "signature" regarding friendship.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 09:21 PM

Thanks Jackie, got that from a friend of mine...I think it's so true about friendship. The older you get, the more you know your true friends. awww...sorry to hear about your cold. drink plenty of fluids, and type to me in the morning! tee hee! The weather here is gorgeous, sunny and pleasantly warm. My kind of day!
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 09:21 PM

Hi Jackie,
Welcome to Boomer. I hope you're finding a warm welcome here. We're a wise and awesome group of women here.

Are you familiar with The Highly Sensitive Person?
I'm in the middle of reading it...started a a couple of months ago, but can't seem to finish it, even though it's talking about "me"!

I live in soutwest Colorado, an hour east of Durango. I stayed overnight in Durango in the early 1980's while enroute from Loveland to Pecos New Mexico. I LOVED that drive through the mountains...some of those vistas remain as vivid in my mind today as they were that day we drove through. I don't recall Pagosa Springs, but do remember having to stop to watch a parade in one of the little towns along the way. We got "buzzed" but two military planes. Great memories.

Anyway, welcome again, and I look forward to hearing your voice. Have you checked out some of the other discussions yet?

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 09:27 PM

Hi Debra,
Welcome! Glad you found us. I hope you'll stay and try our post-and-reply environment...there's an awesome group of women behind these posts.

I do volunteer work for Meals on Wheels. You must meet some really interesting people through that. My Mom volunteered all her life for the hospital auxilary and various other organizations, but I remember her helping with Meals on Wheels for awhile. I think I even helped her out when I was much younger.

I love your signature...I have two friends who have stuck by me through much muck and mire...they definitely fit your definition.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 09:37 PM

Thankyou Eagle Heart. I've been doing Meals on Wheels for 7 years now, and I LOVE it! Makes me realize how good my life really is. Some of my clients are all alone, and it's so nice to have them look forward to a daily visit. I've lost a few recently, and it makes me sad. Some of them were like my grandparents, mine are gone, but not forgotten.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 09:44 PM

Hi Eagle Heart! Great screen name. I love eagles.
I don't think I read the entire HSP book either, just the parts that seemed relevant to me. My brother told me about it years ago when he discovered he was one. It was a relief knowing that I wasn't crazy (totally) or alone. I have had some interesting discussions with people on the yahoo group that is for HSP's, with the sub-topic of spirituality. Great people there, too. I have actually been "topic-hopping" today. It's fun.I love interactive communication, especially when people are talking abut deep, important things. I can't talk about clothes, movies, money, or superficial things for too long.
BTW - you may have driven through Pagosa...they really have lots of parades here, although I can't imagine planes buzzing down in the center of town. We have sulpher springs here that are very therapeutic and gorgeous mountains. WE just had a hot air balloon festival with over 50 balloons over the lakes and in front of Pagosa Peak!
Love your signature! [Smile]

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 09:55 PM

I just signed up to join the Guadalupe Society at our church. I had heard of them, but didn;t know what they did. They cook, set up, serve and clean up for families after a funeral. It seems like something I was designed to do. I think I am pretty good at being sensitive to grieving souls. This will be the first volunteer work I've done (except at school)since I did counseling at a crisis pregnancy center years ago.
I've thought of doing meals on wheels, since I have a Suburban and am usually free at lunchtime. I'm not sure if our town has one...

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 11:14 PM

I just changed my screen name from Jackie.

Re: just new to this site - 09/21/05 11:15 PM

Wow, the screen name on all my posts have changed.
Posted by: Suzy

Re: just new to this site - 09/22/05 04:13 AM

Hi, I am new also...saw this in an article in the Orlando Sentinel...I am 53 and divorced...3 children 27, 25 and 21. My daughter is married and having my first grandchild...very exciting!

Re: just new to this site - 09/22/05 08:10 AM

Bluebird,

Have you not ventured to Denver yet?

It is like most big cities, EXCEPT, it has a beautiful view!

You'll have to let me know if you all ever come up this way - we can have a "boomer get together"!

There are lots of wonderful things to do on "this side of the mountains".

I went to high school for a few years in Alamosa, and recently ventured through the San L. mountain range to do some work down your way. So beautiful. LOVE the great sand dunes - have you vistited them yet?

danita

Re: just new to this site - 09/22/05 06:09 PM

Hi Suzy. I just joined myself this week. I'm 48, married 25 years, and have 3 kids also. 22, 16, and 12. When is your daughter due, Grandma?

Re: just new to this site - 09/22/05 06:14 PM

Hi Jackie a.k.a. Western Bluebird! When I first saw that, I was thinking...where did Jackie go? Anyway, that sounds like a great volunteer opportunity! Just check your phonebook about Meals on Wheels, the number should be listed if there's one nearby.

Re: just new to this site - 09/22/05 06:20 PM

Hi Suzy, I almost missed your wee post. Welcome to this great place. Suzy, don't be shy to post your own Introduction thread on the Welcome forum. That way people won't miss out on welcoming you...which we LOVE to do! We're a warm and wise sisterhood here, and hope you'll browse around and join in on any/all of the discussions going on here.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: just new to this site - 09/22/05 10:05 PM

Good catch Eagle! I didn't see Suzy post either. Welcome girlfriend. I hope you love it here as much as we all do. Jump right in and post away...

JJ

Re: just new to this site - 09/25/05 02:59 AM

Hi Debra:

She thinks she's due May 2nd...she has her 1st appt. this week. Many of my friends have become grandparents this year. It's a little strange thinking of someone calling me "grandma". That was my mom...Anyone in the grandma boat that can give me any advice? She lives in the same town as me and we get along pretty well..I haven't given any words of wisdom yet. She works and wants to stay home as I did with them. I know it is much harder for moms or dads to stay home and raise their kids today but I think it's worth the sacrifices.

Re: just new to this site - 09/25/05 03:08 AM

I'm not sure how to navigate around this...I thought I did post on the welcome...anyway, I'm glad to talk with you all.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: just new to this site - 09/25/05 05:46 AM

Doing just fine Suzy and welcome....no sweeter word to my ears then Grandma.... [Big Grin]
Posted by: Junebug

Re: just new to this site - 09/25/05 03:38 PM

Debra,
I think you welcomed me on the page I sat up saying I was new. So, welcome to you! LOL You live in Cleveland and I live in Dayton. I love going to the lake near Cleveland or Toledo. Or, staying in a nice hotel near the water there! A distance apart from me! LOL

Western Bluebird,
It is nice to meet you also! You have your hands full it sounds like. I love CO, and Durango, Silverton and Ouray are special gorgeous haunts of ours. When we lived in the Texas Panhandle, we skiied quite often in Co, and loved exploring there also, all the out of the way places. Welcome from one new-comer to another!
Posted by: Debi

Re: just new to this site - 09/28/05 02:12 AM

hey Debra im also a debra ,,lol is nice to see you here ,,, and for all of you who havent seen me in like forever im back ...

Again Debra welcome your in for a treat these ladies are awesome!!!!

Re: just new to this site - 09/28/05 09:06 PM

From one Deb to another--thanks for the welcome Debi! Nice to meet you, and I love this site. I've read many interesting stories here. Looking forward to all i can learn!
Posted by: Cecilia

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 01:32 AM

Hello! Iam a newbie on this site and trying to figure my way around. I live in Connecticut and my only son just left for college last month , so I am also a new empty-nester. Iam so happy I found this site so I can get to know other people. I am having a hard time getting used to this, my new status. My husband (my son's stepfather) is wondering what is wrong with me, but I guess I will get used to it in time.
I hope to hear from you that it gets better.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 01:38 AM

Let me add a group welcome to all of you newbies. Glad you found us. You're gonna love it here!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 02:09 AM

I also welcome all the newbies and yes, yes Cecilia the empty nest syndrome does get easier as time goes by. You may even get to feeling a bit giddy once you realize all the time you have for the things you've put aside or forgotten when the kids needed you and one day you will also be a Grandma and that is the best of the best...Many good things yet to come!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 05:09 PM

Welcome everyone. Please be sure to visit the other forums and share in some of your favorite topics.

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 10:02 PM

Thanks for the welcome Dianne, Dotsieand everyone else in this room. And Chatty Lady I also appreciate your uplifting words. It is just that this is a new stage in my life, a little unknown, but I am starting to feel better and looking forward to new experiences and friendships.

[Cool] [Cool]

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 10:42 PM

Welcome, Cecilia! What part of CT are you from? I recently moved from NY and my husband worked in CT - mostly Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan.

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 11:10 PM

Hello Western Bluebird! Thanks for the welcome!!!
Well, I actually live in Norwalk, CT and I work in White Plains, NY. Just a 35 minute commute, not too bad!. Where do you live in CT?

--------------------------

Re: just new to this site - 09/29/05 11:19 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear that I moved from NY to CO. One of my brothers lived in Norwalk for a while. We loved going to Stew Leonards!! Fresh croissants, cookies...mmmmmmm. I always got a kick out of the "one way" shopping!

Re: just new to this site - 09/30/05 12:55 AM

Sorry, I just noticed that you live in Colorado.
Well, that's right, it's always so much fun to go shopping to Stew Leonards. No matter what time you go there is always busy. They have good stuff, though.

----------------- [Smile]