I'm New Too

Posted by: Katie Sue

I'm New Too - 08/20/08 08:42 PM

I've been getting the newsletter but I decided that it would try to get in on conversations with ladies in my age group. I belong to a group of baby boomers called Baby Boomer DIVAs led by Beverly Mahone, a radio talk show hostess.

I'm 62, a widow and have four sons, 38, 35, 32 and 29. They are living in Phoenix, some are artists and musicians and others are employed. My youngest just recently moved down there to attend school at Maricopa Skill Center. I'm hoping he'll have a job soon to help his brother with expenses and pay the school for the loan they got for him.

My husband and I were married 27 years and died of cancer. His cancer was related to uranium exposure as a child. I really miss him and miss being married. I trust in the Lord for the life I have now. I haven't been able to go to his grave but one time since he died. There is a huge gate that crosses the road on the reservation and I don't have the security code to get in.

I live in a very small community 25 miles south of Gallup, New Mexico. I work in Gallup in an internet provider business as an administrative assistant and am a worship leader twice a week at a church here. I am also involved with a group of ministers and lay people who have a training facility for Navajos, a native tribe in the northern part of Arizona.

I teach piano to three students but my students hit and miss their lessons. I enjoy teaching them and want to instill the same music understanding with my worship team.

My interests are varied. I love to take photos and have tons of them in my computer just waiting to be included in an album or two. I also write poetry, songs and sometimes an article on what interests me. I keep tabs on the news and love watching "Burn Notice" and "CSI" and "HGTV".
Posted by: Di

Re: I'm New Too - 08/20/08 09:03 PM

Welcome from a fellow New Mexican! We are outside of Las Cruces. Ever get down this way?

I'm sorry about your husband. What is one greatest fear I have...being w/out mine. Your sons sound like they are well on the road to "adulthood".

So nice to have another "Land of Enchantment" citizen!
Posted by: Anno

Re: I'm New Too - 08/20/08 11:22 PM

Welcome Katie Sue

Sorry to hear about your husband. It is difficult. Beverly is a member here, too, by the way.

Welcome, and I look forward to hearing your voice here on the forums.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: I'm New Too - 08/21/08 11:10 AM

Welcome Katie Sue. By the grace of God, your life seems full. I'm sure keeping busy helps with your grief. We have many women who are into the arts here at BWS so you should have fun meeting them.

Sorry to hear about the death of your husband, but glad to hear you have so many other things going on. How neat to have four sons.

I just joined the team at our church that will develop a contemporary service for our congregation. It sounds like you might know a bit about that. We're in the process of hiring a music director for the service. I'd love to chat with you about that.

Also, please tell us about the training facility for the Navajos.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: I'm New Too - 08/21/08 05:53 PM

WELCOME Katie Sue, I too lost my husbands, one after only five years of marriage and the second after fourteen years. It is a tragic experience to go through and I am sorry for your loss. But I am here to tell you, it does get better with time, and you have four wonderful reasons to remember him and go on to live a great life. This place and the women here will help you along the way.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: I'm New Too - 08/21/08 11:38 PM

Welcome, Katie Sue! I'm in Tucson, Arizona so I know a bit about PHX.

I, too, am sorry to hear about your husband. My husband has been exposed to depleted uranium in the military, (Navy,) I know of what you speak.

It's great that you have four sons! I've two myself. I look forward to knowing you!
dancer
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: I'm New Too - 08/22/08 02:38 AM

Katie Sue, you introduced yourself so well in your very first post. I'm sorry to hear about your husband, and how much you miss him. Have you always been in NM?
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: I'm New Too - 08/22/08 06:41 AM

Welcome Katie Sue, maybe there's someone you could talk to about getting the security code?

I'm 58, married, no kids, no pets except for lizards in my yard. Jewelry artist and poet/essayist.
Posted by: greene

Re: I'm New Too - 08/22/08 12:09 PM

Welcome Katie Sue. You did a wonderful job of introducing yourself. I am also relatively new here but am enjoying it very much. You will find a very supportive, loving and intelligent group of women are now part of your life.
Like others, I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I can only imagine how difficult it must be. Also, I really admire your strength in continuing and developing the varied interests and activities you have. It must have been difficult to get 'back on the horse' and re-enter the stream of life after his illness and death. What a woman you must be!
Welcome.
Posted by: greene

Re: I'm New Too - 08/22/08 12:12 PM

P.S. I'm 59, married, 2 grown children, 2 pets, retired special ed teacher.

Re: I'm New Too - 08/22/08 08:25 PM

chatty, thanks for sharing about your losses. I'm sure she'll feel an immediate connection with you.
Posted by: jabber

Re: I'm New Too - 08/23/08 03:58 PM

Katie Sue and dancer9,
First, welcome Katie Sue. I reunited with biological family in the mid 1990'S and discovered a sister that owns an airbrushing and design business in Tucson, Az. She has a shop set up on isle 7 at the Tanque Verder Swapmeet and owns a building at 4100 S. Palo Verde Rd., Tucson, Az. She does custom work like t-shirts, hats, belts, helmets, leather, signs, buildings, walls, cars, motorcycles, and trailers. Nancy is a breast cancer survivor and her 27-year-old son has joined her business to help fill orders. Here's her email, NjoyAADAirbrush@MSN.com
I live relatively close to the shores of Lake Erie. I love this
boomerwomen's site and know you will too.
Prayers and blessings,
Posted by: Mama Red

Re: I'm New Too - 08/24/08 11:49 PM

Hi KatieSue

Welcome and glad to meet you and read your post about how you're moving forward with your life. I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband and read the strength in your spirit as you write about what you are doing to make a difference in the world.
Posted by: gims

Re: I'm New Too - 08/25/08 04:52 AM

Here's another , KatieSue. glad you've joined us.

Re: I'm New Too - 08/25/08 06:16 PM

In post 157259 of 8/23, I gave the wrong email for sis's artwork. My sister's health has worsened. The only email I can get to work is at myspace.com/artisticairbrush. My above post was a feeble attempt at sending potential customers her way. But Nancy Joyce just wrote to tell me she is having trouble walking now, has fallen several times, and the last time she actually damaged her body. I guess she'll turn the airbrush business over to her son. Nan is in a lot of pain so I'm going to email her about that Elations drink. And see if that helps!
Thanks for listening,
prayers and blessings...

Re: I'm New Too - 08/26/08 01:09 PM

Now, first off, I should've said, website. Not email. Gosh, I hate this PTSD; I'm always second guessing after it's too late
to edit stuff. Sorry ladies!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: I'm New Too - 08/27/08 01:28 AM

Welcome Katie Sue. I'm so glad you found us and have already connected with women who understand what you're going through. I'm single with no children, but lost both parents and understand loss. I, too, am sorry about your loss.

I'm also sorry I had to use the word "loss" so many times in this post.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: I'm New Too - 08/28/08 04:23 AM

Welcome Katie Sue to this wonderfully, gracious, kind, loving site full of women who will fast become your boomer sisters. I joined this site not too long before I had to undergo endemetriel cancer. Such support, love and prayers that came from these women still brings tears to my eyes and my heart swells with love for all of them.

I am sorry you've lost your beloved but know God is working in your life to make it good again. How lucky for you to have your son's close by.

Hope to see more of you and your life. Welcome new friend!

Re: I'm New Too - 09/09/08 06:53 PM

Sorry I’m getting back so late. frown Thank you for coming by and checking the newbie out. I didn’t find my link for my forum membership right away. It is so good to be here too. I hope to get to know everyone. I love to write so I will be posting poems and articles occasionally. Hope you have a wonderful week. I’m keeping busy with my worship team and tonight I have to prepare them for three meetings…Wednesday, Sunday morning and Sunday night where we will head for another church. They’re having a Jamboree.

God Bless…

Re: I'm New Too - 09/09/08 06:56 PM

Thank you for stopping by and yes it is difficult. I appreciate all of you ladies. I'll try to be as encouraging as possible. I love to write poetry and thinking of doing it for a business.

God Bless

Re: I'm New Too - 09/09/08 07:52 PM

Sounds good Katie Sue. You'll find lots of writers here.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: I'm New Too - 09/10/08 11:02 PM

Hi there Kathryn,
How fortunate for us to have you here. Your poetry piece that you posted in another topic was outstanding. I love the pictures of the boys, too...and your sissies. I have four sisters, so I can relate to them...love um! I also raised two boys, so there again, we have a commonality.

We're so glad you've found us! Now, as a newbie, let me give you the rules of the forum community. There's not that much to it!

1. Be kind in your responses to others
2. No advertising within the forums unless you are a member of the NABBW, Dotsie's association.

This would include, I'm afraid, the posting of articles and such. But if you join the NABBW, you can submit one article a month for possible publication.

You can submit (at any time) essays to Dotsie for possible publication for the Our Voices section of Boomer Women Speak. The guidelines for submitting essay (stories only, not articles) is located HERE. We just ask that you not post articles, essays, and such in the forums unless you are a member of the NABBW.

Again, welcome! And we just love the way you jump in and start sharing. That's what this community is all about.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: I'm New Too - 09/11/08 03:08 PM

Hi Kathryn, I'm glad to welcome you!! The Boomer sisters here are very loving and supportive. I'm so happy you decided to join us.

Big Hugs!!!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: I'm New Too - 09/12/08 12:22 AM

Hi Kathryn. You'll love it here. Welcome.

Re: I'm New Too - 09/12/08 01:29 PM

Katie Sue,
Church? Jamboree? That sounds like the kind of stuff I love.
And "singing praises to the King of Kings," cool, cool, cool!
Glad you're here!