Chiropractors!

Posted by: Dotsie

Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 02:37 PM

Wednesday morning, I had finished my walk and was in the basement throwing in laundry when I noticed the vacuum sitting out. So here goes. This is very typical of the way I do things. I put the vacuum away and notice the closet is messy so I begin straightening it. I'm thinking about the holidays and the kids coming home and wanting to get things in better order. Like they care. So next I begin looking at this stuff tucked by the back door that really should be in the attic or shed. Again, thinking I want to get this put away before the kids get home because they'll have their friends down here, etc. Like they care. So I'm lifting and looking and before you know it, I'm lifting and twisting something way too heavy and I feel my back shift and next thing - I'm calling the chiropractor.

I spent two hours there on Wednesday (which wasn't in the schedule), another hour there yesterday (again not in the schedule) and an hour there this morning (you guessed it - not in the schedule).

I think the Lord is trying to tell me to s l o w down.

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? I'd never been, but have family members who sing this guy's praises and now I know why. I couldn't stand up straight when I went in there and was in horrendous pain wondering if I was going to have to have surgery.

I'm not all better, but I am much more comfortable, standing straight, bending over and even able to bend backwards a little bit.

Isn't it wild to have your back manipulated? How the heck do they know how to do that? It's amazing. I just listen and block out what's going on, and let him do his thing. I can't believe how this works. I am totally amazed.

If you have back issues and haven't been to a chiropractor, I recommend checking it out.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 02:49 PM

Yes indeed Dotsie
I have a spinal oclusion and my sacal bone was displaced in to my pelvis.This wonderful Danish Chiropracticoner slowly got me better.I was 13% daisabled and off work for one year.I owe her so much..She also tests for food intolerance.
We do things incorrectly and damage ourselves.
Good luck
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 05:11 PM

Dotsie, your description of the progression of doing things sounds like me! I'll get into about the fifth phase and wonder how I got there...and what it was I began with! It's so easy, TOO easy to get going and twist wrong and then it's off to the chiropractor. Over the years I've seen him and been very glad of it. Just like you, I'd go in hurting and not moving well and start making progress right away. In the beginning I went to the M.D. and got pain pills and moist heat and got nowhere. Sorry. But that's the truth!

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 05:13 PM

By the way, all that to just say that I'm glad you're at least functioning better now AND that it is very possible that God is saying 'take a deep breath, prioritize and forget what probably won't be noticed or cared about anyway. Turn your attentions to just the essentials.'
Posted by: gims

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 06:31 PM

Good chiropractors are beyond priceless. Bad ones should be taken out at dawn and shot. I come from a whole line of chiros - good ones.
Here's something my grandad taught... take a hair from your head and place it under a single page of your Bible. See if you can feel the hair with your eyes closed. You will more than likely be able to. Now, adding additional pages one by one, keep trying to "feel" the hair through the pages. A good chiro will have a sensitive touch and be able to feel through numerous pages - we'll call this a knowing or a sense - he/she will develop a way of "feeling" things out of alignment. Alignment is essential for good health. (Ladies don't cross your legs. Not only does it disrupt circulation, it throws your skeletal system out of whack - per my granddaddy.) Aeration of the spinal discs is essential to good skeletal health, plus. (Set up a slant board for yourself i.e. a stool about 2 ft high and a 1 by 16+. Lay with feet at highest end, stretch your arms out above your head, elongating your body - relax, let the stretch do the work - practice by granddaddy. You can buy equipment, but the slant board works fine.) A good chiropractor will know when it's best for you to see a medical doctor and he/she won't mind advising you to visit one. Don't expect one or two visits to undo the damage you've done to your body in a lifetime, or an un-thought-out moment. And, maintenance is key - with regular visits, your body's systems (circulatory, endocrine, pulmonary, etc.) will work better.
OK, this is not an advertisement. There are only one or two of my family still practicing. All others have died or retired. I'm still looking for one to replace the quality chiro care I've had in the past.

Dotsie, I hope you are feeling great by now! and glad you found a good one. A bad one can color your regards to the profession.
Posted by: Countrygirl

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 08:54 PM

I went to a great chiropractor a few years ago to get my neck manipulated (in an effort to rid myself of migraines). She discovered an old injury in the base of my spine and helped that too! Fab.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/16/07 11:17 PM

When I lived in Los Angeles, I saw a chiropractor named Dr. Bones. I swear. I think he changed his name to match his profession.

Chiropractors here in Daytona hurt me so I stopped going. After seeing my MRI, I think I made the right decision.

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/17/07 11:44 AM

We also have a local chiropractor named Dr. Popp !
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/17/07 10:50 PM

Went once with a girlfriend who wanted to date the chiropractor, it didn't do a thing for me, so I never went again. Oh, and I guess his adjustments worked for my friend because she and he got married, they're still married 18 years later.

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 01:26 PM

Dotsie, I thought of you this past Friday. I did a very non-thoughtful thing! It was cold and rainy here. I went down to retrieve the mail at around 4:30 P.M. On the way back and aware of the wind, rain and chilly temperatures, I was walking at a fast pace AND...get this....looking at the mail. The next thing I knew I was on the ground in the mud. Apparently my left ankle gave out in a small rut on our long, dirt driveway. I felt on my left hip. Muddy and very surprised, I hobbled back to the house. It's Sunday morning and I've been hurting ever since. I'm on a moist heating pad as I sit here trying to type. My lower back, left hip and left foot have been very sore...especially my back/hip. I had to tell this one because we started out talking about how we just do things without thinking and end up in a world of hurt...literally!! Ah yes, I know I'll survive but it really was dumb.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 01:57 PM

Last night we gathered to have a 60th birthday meal for a friend.All ladies who had worked in education.We looked back and spoke about now...All of us has fallen..me six weeks ago..trying to stabilish myself I ran forward like a bull at bull fight.My head banged a large cherry tree.The bleeding went on for a while.I was quite shaky. I had a sore head for a while that week.The scar is in my hairline.We were all laughing because no one had shared this before. Made me think that I hurried too much and should take more care.
How many of you ladies has had a fall ?.....
Mountain ash

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 06:46 PM

Just an FYI... instead of heat, you should apply cold (ice packs). My cousin, a sports chiroprator, shared this with me when I had tendonitis years ago. My more recent mishap, picking up my nine year old grandson, had me going to a local chiro. He also told me ice packs, and no heat (which is what I was using). So it must be a new way of thinking. Heat brings blood to the wound... the opposite of what you want if you want to reduce inflammation.

MA, I've not fallen much... but, if my family is any indication of what's in store, I expect to have a few throughout the remainder of my life. The thought scares me.

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 08:52 PM

On my way down the back four stairs on the patio porch a few years back, I stepped on the third step from the bottom and went right through it, fell forward onto the concrete patio with my left foot, as my right was still in the broken stair. I ended up crawling out and up the steps and back into the house where I sat on the floor for quiet sometime in a fair amount of pain. Got up and for three days walked slowly using a walker I had here from my sister. MY ex stopped by, saw the walker, saw my lower legs and dragged me literally to the emergency room. This gorgeous young doctot walks in and says to my ex, "this must be one tough lady we have here." It seems the xrays showed one ankle was broken in two places, and the other, the most swollen and sore one (go figure) was badly sprained and I had several torn ligaments. I ended up in knee high cast for 8 weeks, and a boot thingy for another 6 weeks. OUCH!!! What a drag that was...

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 09:12 PM

Thanks all....I don't feel so bad now! gimster, I am using ice packs and in between (an hour or two) I use moist heat, then lots of ibuprofen. Yes, the ice reduces the inflammation as does the ibuprofen. I walk like I'm 50 years older but hopefully I'll get back to normal soon...I can't afford to have any injuries right now! It's so easy to forget what you're doing and avoid being careful, sin't it?

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 09:24 PM

UH-Humm, and just how does a 50 year old walk??? Bet I can run faster than most 30 somethings...And I ain't seen 50 in a dozen years or so...not very nice!!

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 10:17 PM

Chatty, she said "50 ears older".... lol...
so that'd be in the hundreds, right lj?
you aren't there yet, chatty.... lol... are you? take off sprinting, you spring chicken, you!

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/18/07 11:31 PM

Yeah, I did say 50 years OLDER....hmmm....kinda like I'd walk when I'm 104. Anne, I'm with you....I won't be seeing ANYONE named Dr. Paine or old Dr. Popp over this way....no matter how good they might be!!

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/19/07 08:30 PM

ladyjane, I'm so sorry to read what happened to you. Honestly, all it takes is an instant and boom...things are changed. We both know our situations could be worse, but dang, pain is no fun. Watch you tummy with the Ibuprofen. I take four with meals, when I remember...
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/20/07 08:40 AM

chiropractor been lifesavers in the past, the clicking and clinking noise use to worrie me, getting adjustments dune in the lower neck makes quite a noise. i also hope its getting easier for you dotsie back pains no fun and intrfears with so much movment and stuff to be doing, rest your back but keep mobile, spines need to move, i constantlie tell myself.(to get myself moving)

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/20/07 01:16 PM

Thanks ladies. I went yesterday and go again tomorrow. I'm getting stim and heat, ultrasound, and manipulations of each side. Woohoo!

Today is an off day. I'm curious to see how I feel be the end of the day.

Yesterday, I sat and worked until around 5:00. I really needed to get up and get moving. Since the weather was nasty, I went and walked for aobut 35 minutes at the mall before dinner and it felt so good. Plus, the festive Christmas mood was good for me too.

Ladyjane, how are you feeling?
Posted by: Countrygirl

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/20/07 02:33 PM

Ladyjane, how are you? You poor thing...I really felt for you. Take care, and you too Dotsie. Hugs, xxx

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/20/07 02:34 PM

I'm with you, Dotsie...we must move about. I, too, do a lot of sitting at my desk and it's the worst thing for this! With my simple, at-home remedies I'm making good strides now and feeling better each day...as long as I'm careful how I move. Our weather has been gray, cold and drizzly/windy so I have to force myself to get out and move, even if it's only in the yard and yes, the dreaded driveway. Nice to hear that you're coming along, too. My closest mall is about 25 minutes away but how I wish it was close...nice, safe walking and the holiday fanfare is there to brighten one's spirits!
Posted by: Anno

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/21/07 12:08 AM

S-L-O-W D-O-W-N. Girlfriends, life is too precious to run our selves to pain and stress.

I am telling myself this as I tell you. We do not need to be all, do all, etc.

Re: Chiropractors! - 11/21/07 02:06 AM

But, Anno, sometimes life runs us!!!!

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/02/07 09:49 PM

Anno, thanks. I always need to be reminded of that.

gimster, so true, especially when you have lots of people depending on you.

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/07/07 10:52 PM

ladyjane, how are you ding? Are you all better? I'm still going two times a week. Sigh. I feel better, but he wants me to contiue to strengthen and to be manipulated. Enough already!

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/08/07 03:49 AM

Has he given you strengthening exercises to do? If not, ask for some that are specific for your problem. Let me know if he can't provide you with any and I'll send you the set my chiro gave me.

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/08/07 12:43 PM

Yes, much better, thanks! The only problem left is my left foot (big toe joint). That can give out over anything and start to pain but it's tolerable. Glad to know you're up and coming, Dotsie, with all the holiday fuss ahead. Yes, once you go to the chiropractor they want to see you for an eternity it seems, but if it's working that's all that counts!!

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/09/07 02:03 AM

Glad to her you're getting better.

I'm ready to cut the ties with the chiropractor. Tow more times this week and then I think I'm telling him enough!
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/09/07 02:34 PM

i read somewear dotsie that you wouldn't have your neck done. the neck supports a lot of weight ie the head and is part of the spine as a whole, if it needs adjustmet their to bring it into allinment then its one part of the spine that might be needed to bring it as a whole into aline ment. Did you aske his reasons why he wanted to adjust it, would that make it any easier for you?

i had mine done the accosticks are scarrie it sounds like a reallie big clunck but no bigger perhaps than anywear else on the spine. I always felt dissie afterwards but with me it might have been more to do with fear than the actule adjustment. I always felt vulrible with my neck like if he slips my necks broken sorta thing, again my fear and i don't think it could happen (i hope)
let us know what you decide to do rgarding your neck adjustment dotsie,
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Chiropractors! - 12/31/07 03:48 PM

Dotsie, or anyone with experience, do you have a follow up to your chiropractor experience? I am starting up with a new chiro on Wednesday due to stiff shoulders and arthritis in my neck. I've been before to another one during cancer several years ago, but I was turned off by his wham, bam, thank you mam approach. So, how do you feel now since chiro?