Diet Pill to be sold OTC

Posted by: ladybug

Diet Pill to be sold OTC - 01/24/06 05:35 PM

The makers of orlistat are waiting to get FDA approval to sell their product over the counter.

They admit it will have only one half the strength of its prescription version. They also admit when people use it they experience only a modest weight loss. It is not to be taken for more than six months and must be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise. The pill's effects stop once it isn't being taken anymore. Studies show a progressive weight gain in people once the drug is stopped. The drug works by blocking one quarter of all fat consumed.

The makers of orlistat will still sell the prescription version, Xenical.

My question: What is to say people will not stop using this drug after six months? Will they double its dosage if it isn't working as fast as they want it to?

I see drug makers reaping huge profits at the expense of American's health and Americans not gaining anything other than serious side effects and an emptier wallet.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Diet Pill to be sold OTC - 01/24/06 06:38 PM

I agree 100% Lb... There are no short cuts to a better, healthy life. Diet and exercise, that's the key.

JJ

Re: Diet Pill to be sold OTC - 01/24/06 07:27 PM

That's the problem JJ, pills are so easy to take.

The way that you've chosen to lose weight is the best approach but it takes determination and effort.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Diet Pill to be sold OTC - 01/25/06 06:02 PM

Yes they are easy to take and lots of newspapers and TV spokespersons would have the world believe we are a generation of "gimme, gimme, gimme" or "give it to me now." Let's show um we're not girls. Let's show um what we're made of. That we CAN and WILL do whats best for ourselves, on OUR terms, and when WE get ready to do so. No pills for me. I refuse to give money to the already overstuffed pockets of these drug makers.

As LB has already said, Americans not gaining anything other than serious side effects and an emptier wallet

That statement alone SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS gets my attention, you?

JJ

Re: Diet Pill to be sold OTC - 01/25/06 11:20 PM

JJ, you've proven that weight loss can safely and cheaply be done without pills.

My husband did it without pills and simply by cutting down on portions, although at first he frowned on those small pieces of meat. He now walks in the morning every day with me without fail.

My friend also wonders if people will double the dosage when they hear the pill is half the potency of the prescription version.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Diet Pill to be sold OTC - 01/26/06 01:25 AM

Theres only one diet that works and the only side effects are that you have tons of energy and begin liking yourself a whole lot more. The diet consists of three major things, eating small portions oftener, moving that body a lot more and not putting something useless into the mouth whenever it's opened...Ask da-Queen JJ, she's the perfect example.

[ January 26, 2006, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]