The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#188062 - 08/11/09 11:28 AM Re: Carpet or Wood Floors? [Re: KathyC]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Give me tile or wood floors any day over carpet. The only two rooms left in our house that still have carpet are the guest bedrooms and since we're planning on turning one of those into a sewing room for me in the near future I think that may be changed to wood flooring soon.

Carpet does not hold up well underneath wheelchair wheels. Can't put thick padding under it because it makes it harder for him to push. No matter what I did, when we had carpet, there were two parallel lines wherever he did the most traveling thru the house. Next to our bed, where he transfers on and off his chair, it got totally worn down from the slight shift of the chair sideways each time he gets in or out of bed. Never felt like it was really clean and was amazed when we tore it up to put down tile and wood flooring how much sand and dirt and dog hair was under the carpet and I use a good Dyson vacumn cleaner!

So for me it's definitely tile or wood. Much easier to keep clean, stays nice looking much longer, holds up better, and I think it looks better.

#188065 - 08/11/09 12:28 PM Re: Carpet or Wood Floors? [Re: KathyC]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Wood floors. Mine are old and have been sanded so much, though, that the nails show through, so I recently went with Mr. Sandless, which is a company that uses water based rather than oil based acrylic. Plus I love the look of oriental rugs. Carpeting, to me, is a dirt and allergen catcher, no matter how clean you think it is. Carpet cleaners are heavy duty with chemicals.

We put hardwood (red oak) in a porch remodel and it matches the rest of the house pretty well.

We put marble tile in the finished basement and kitchen. Yes, the grout is a problem. I used to have carpet in the basement but a broken washing machine, a clogged laundry sink, and a broken water line to the furnace flooded it several times. Talk about a mess!

I recently carpeted the stairs, landing and powder room (all connected), though. Makes cleaning easier.

The problem I have is that the dog is getting old, so I have to keep her out of most of the house now.

#190189 - 09/18/09 10:16 PM Re: Carpet or Wood Floors? [Re: DJ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Your faithful dog needs to be with her people more than ever now that she is aging, just like us when we get older. Too sad she is being kept away.. Too sad!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#190199 - 09/19/09 11:46 AM Re: Carpet or Wood Floors? [Re: chatty lady]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sad and not sad. She's in the family room and the kitchen so it's not that she's "kept away". I understand that most dogs in her condition are euthanized. She can't feel the muscle that tells her she needs to poop so has literally gone on every surface in the house. The medication she's on is for urinary incontinence and it also helps with her condition, but not 100 percent. And she's on a special diet I buy from the vet. I've cleaned up diarrhea trails multiple times from all the rugs and it isn't something I can do indefintely. Much easier to clean the tile floors when necessary.

Edited by DJ (09/19/09 04:12 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved