The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11505 - 12/29/03 05:34 PM preserving our ancestry
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Have you seen the books in the stores that are for the elderly to write about their lives?

I've seen guided journals that ask very specific questions and allow space for in depth answers.

I've also heard about people who are filming their parents while asking them quetions about their lives.

All of this sounds so important to me especially since Mom died and I can't ask her some specifics about her family any more.

I wish I had the time to do something aobut this while Dad is still alive. Maybe I could write some questions and while he's sitting home alone he could just record some answers. I think that would be precious to have in years to come.

Anyone in here doing anything likes, or have you already done so?

#11506 - 12/29/03 09:02 PM Re: preserving our ancestry
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, my father and I wrote stories together after I had interviewed some of the relatives. Now my cousins children are asking me questions and will continue this on. I shared what I found with all the relatives and some of these are being handed down in the families.
This Christmas there was quite a discussion among my cousins children about who my grandparents were and where they came from. On the maternal side they were from Sweden.
I would encourage anyone to start asking the relatives simple questions. They love to be asked
and will usually tell you a lot even some of the secrets if you promise to be careful with them.
It was fun to compare what my cousins daughter had learned with what I already knew and then send her in the direction she wanted to go.
Maggie

#11507 - 12/29/03 10:49 PM Re: preserving our ancestry
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Older folks are the greatest treasure we have. I have learned so much from them. Some it was their craft in life and one in particular would have died with the gentleman if he had not had the opportunity to teach my husband how to make a wooden mast from a tree.

Now, most people would think that really isn't worth much in today's technological world but you may be surprised. Crafts and techniques can be adapted if understood properly. And if we forget our past where is our future going?

My husband's brother interviewed their grandmother who was 99 at the time. The interview was on tape (VCR's were not on the horizon yet). She told about her trip to the US from Germany and she paid her way by shelling wheat. She finally made her way to Kansas - which felt comfortable because she understood their crop etc. The interview is fascinating and I hae not listened to it in about 20 years. Might be time to dig it out and put in on CD.

Lynn

#11508 - 12/30/03 02:11 AM Re: preserving our ancestry
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My maternal grandmother died when I was 13. One of my last memories of her is watching her bead an entire dress (by sewing beads onto the fabric.) The dress took 6 months to complete. Unfortunately when she died, one of my mother's sisters took the dress and sold it, which my mother and I will never really forgive. The good news is, I have 3 of her hand-beaded purses, which I treasure.

Two years after her death, I started doing beadwork, which (if you haven't figured out from my screen name) I continue to do today. Thanks, Grandma!

#11509 - 12/30/03 03:27 AM Re: preserving our ancestry
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lynn,
I noticed in your post that you planned to put what I assume was a cassette tape on CD. I wondered how ou do that. I can copy CD's on the computer, but I have some cassettes I would like to change to CD's and the only thing I can find to do it with costs about a thousand dollars. Thas seemed a little excessive to me.

Just wondered.

smile

#11510 - 12/30/03 06:26 PM Re: preserving our ancestry
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hm, looks like I need to get busy in this department.

All I have are lots of old pictures, but sure should have all the stories to go with them.

My nephew interviewed and taped my dad when he did a project on the Korean War. My sister has the tape and says it's the best. I need to hear that while Dad is still alive.

The only other thing I have is a tape from when my son did a school project and interviewed my Dad's sister when she was 90 (now 92). SHe tried to recollect stories from her parents, aunts, and uncles about when they came to America. It was a little confusing though.

I may have to do a little research on this and come up with a list of questions for my dad, and perhaps my mother's sister and brother. Maybe they would be kind enough to fill us in a little on their past.

Should I make this a new year's resolution?

#11511 - 12/30/03 10:00 PM Re: preserving our ancestry
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dotsie,
I love the resolution. The Mormons have the best Geneology sites from what I hear. They do this as part of their Church. Before computers some of us visited the part of their church where they would help you with your Geneology.
Now the computer has sites for this too.
I am thinking about your aunts recollections and perhaps you could find the dates by typing in the name and ship. Not sure because I haven't tried it. My cousins daughter plans to type in the names of our grandfather and great uncle, the ship they came over on and hopefully will find them.
Thanks,
Maggie

#11512 - 12/31/03 12:23 AM Re: preserving our ancestry
smilinize Offline

I'm adding my vote for tracing your heritage. To add to Maggie's idea, our state and local historical societies employ a geneaologist who has a lot of computer programs that people can use for free and he gives directions to various sites, old newspapers, census records and other documents useful for tracing one's heritage.

Most of my lineage has already been traced by various relatives though I wish I had more videos and tapes of my parents talking about when they were young.

It's really interesting to see how we wind up who and where we are.

smile

[ December 30, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#11513 - 12/31/03 02:39 AM Re: preserving our ancestry
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
When we were in NYC 2 years ago, we visited Ellis Island, which also has a registry of most of the people who came through there. I think it's online, too, although I don't have the URL. Because so many of the last names were changed or misspelled, we (husband and I) could only find a few of our relatives.

#11514 - 12/31/03 03:18 AM Re: preserving our ancestry
smilinize Offline

My heritage traces to Pocahantas. I am a direct descendant. Imagine it. Our ancestors could have met, either when the Mayflower landed or when Pocahantas traveled to Europe with her husband.

I wonder what they thought.

Boy it's been a while.... [Smile]

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved