The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#88691 - 09/17/06 10:29 PM Liquor vs beer
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Seeking help for my friend....

Her DH thinks that one cannot be an alcoholic if he drinks beer in excess, only 'hard liquor'.

I told her I had a former boss who was a recovering alcoholic who told me that either one of two things will happen if someone continually (every other day) drinks to excess: either they will quit or they will die from alcohol consumption/abuse.

Can someone lead me to links that show that beer can be just as addicting/deadly as 'hard liquor'?

Many thanks for your assistance.

#88692 - 09/17/06 10:41 PM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: Di]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I don't have any links but booze is booze. Even drug addicts look down their nose at heroine users without realizing that even if they just smoke pot, they are an addict. An addict is an addict.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#88693 - 09/17/06 11:25 PM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My ex owned a Cocktail Lounge and the patrons got just as falling down, stupid, sloppy drunk on beer as they did hard liquor. So Dianne is correct, "booze is booze." And he knows that, he's just kidding himself, but no one else will buy that. As far a proof goes call any local AA and they can send or tell you where to get the information I'm sure.

Edited by chatty lady (09/17/06 11:26 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#88694 - 09/18/06 01:17 AM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: chatty lady]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
dianne is right, alcohol is alcohol. If a person is an alcoholic, he/she cannot drink any of it if they are on the wagon. A beer will push them off just as easily as hard booze.

Louisa

#88695 - 09/18/06 01:23 PM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: Louisa]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do a Google search for beer versus hard liquor. I just did that and some links came up.

I think this is an old wives tale. I've heard it before but don't believe it. Alcohol is alcohol and too much of any of it is dangerous.

#88696 - 09/18/06 02:52 PM Re: Liquor vs beer
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I can tell you first hand how beer can destroy a family. My father was an alcoholic and he usually only drank beer plus he only drank on the weekends, although many times he missed work on Monday because of a hangover. Many people would say he wasn't an alcoholic, but my siblings and I know the damage his drinking did. If someone's drinking affects their family or work life adversly, then they have a problem, no matter what they drink or how often.

laurapoplin.com

#88697 - 09/18/06 07:53 PM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: Daisygirl]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Saying that beer (or wine) consumption does not make an alcoholic is just an alcoholic's excuse to drink. It is a lie to self and others.

Try some health sites, too. WebDr comes to mind. AA will give you the truth. Also, Hazelden.org or any other recovery site will have lots of information. ATOD (alcohol, tobacco and other drugs) might be a good keyword search.
Good Luck

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#88698 - 09/18/06 08:06 PM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: Anno]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Anno is right, it's part of the denial process. "I can't be an alcoholic because I only drink on weekends." "I can't be an alcoholic because I only have 2 drinks a day." "I can't be an alcoholic because I only drink beer, not hard liquor."

We had an excellent film about alcoholism when I taught Psychiatric Nursing. It dispelled a lot of these myths. I'm sure you can find similar information on the web.

However, telling your friend's husband that he can and is an alcoholic even if he only drinks beer probably won't change his mind. There are some things we just have to learn the hard way.

#88699 - 09/19/06 12:22 AM Re: Liquor vs beer [Re: Jane_Carroll]
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
There are the alcoholics that believe when they quit drinking off and on, it means they aren't an alcoholic.
That is so untrue.
My father and father in law were alcoholics, and died because of it at an early age.
I have no mercy for anyone who abuses the use of alcohol, drugs, of anything.
Guess living with it, working in the ER having to deal with it, and knowing that it kills.
'Nuff said.
Lynne

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved